360 with Tower

pablor

Reaction score
I am looking into adding a tower on a 360. Has anyone seen this rig?

http://www.nauticamarine.com/event.php?event=9

It looks like it is top notch but also that they removed the factory hardtop and back legs. This has to be very very expensive.

My tower welder is recommending a similar setup with a raised platform off of the hardtop but not removing the factory hardtop, instead working with it and adding a way to get to the top from the sides. Any opinions?

How is fuel efficiency affected?

What about ride? I see a lot of express boats with the same beam with towers, so it should not be that bad me thinks...

Thanks

art ES

Reaction score
We decided for the Pursuit with a tower
DSCN0478.jpg

DSCN0514.jpg

consolatorre.jpg

Ill let you know upon delivery
Regards

FastZilla

Reaction score
I've heard some folks mention there were "balance" issues but I seem to remember they were on the 330. The 360 is big enough for one and the hardtop is designed/rated for a tower straight from the factory. I like the lowered hardtop - one of the features I really liked on the Pursuits. Makes the boat look awesome and really look much bigger than it is. I haven't seen a 360 in person with a tower - I'd like to and find out how the handeling is effected, if at all. This might be something for next year.... :roll:

I also like the half tower set up too - a station above the factory hardtop where you stand on the hardtop (it's designed for it after all). Sure would help with fighting a fish. Also would give pretty easy access for the captain to get down to help land the fish if needed. Ultimately the Tuna tower looks the best!

FastZilla

Reaction score
You got me looking at towers now! Found this 360 w/tower from a different company:
http://www.americancustomyachts.com/images/Grady.jpg
looks like most of the "tuna" towers remove the factory hardtop and replace with their own. The "marlin" towers use the factory hardtop as the floor for the upper station. Like the Pursuit above - that's my preference for this boat (for the time being anyway)

Your right, they don't look cheap! Don't forget to add an additional $10-12k for the upper station electronics and controls.

Mr. Pursuit - what's the price range for a tower like yours? It looks like a really nice set up with just the right amount of electronics.

Eberen

Reaction score
Grady 360 with Tower

I have a 2008 360 with a tower -- Love it! (triple 350's)
Wouldn't have it any other way, looks great and handles well, cruises @ 38mph 44-4600RPM's. WOT 50MPH + (big fuel burn at that speed)

pablor

Reaction score
Re: Grady 360 with Tower

Eberen said:
I have a 2008 360 with a tower -- Love it! (triple 350's)
Wouldn't have it any other way, looks great and handles well, cruises @ 38mph 44-4600RPM's. WOT 50MPH + (big fuel burn at that speed)

Pictures and details please!!! what a tease!!! full tower or half tower? factory hardtop?

pablor

Reaction score
FastZilla said:
You got me looking at towers now! Found this 360 w/tower from a different company:
looks like most of the "tuna" towers remove the factory hardtop and replace with their own. The "marlin" towers use the factory hardtop as the floor for the upper station. Like the Pursuit above - that's my preference for this boat (for the time being anyway)

Your right, they don't look cheap! Don't forget to add an additional $10-12k for the upper station electronics and controls.

Mr. Pursuit - what's the price range for a tower like yours? It looks like a really nice set up with just the right amount of electronics.

That is the same boat as the one I posted above! Now I know who they sourced it to!!! Thanks a bunch...

Kevcros

Reaction score
The issue with the grady tops and towers is that the factory top is too large (i.e. overhangs the back deck by a fair amount)--when crafting a tower, the tower legs should land in the cockpit (so if you do fall, you land in the boat rather than the drink)--With the factory tops, the legs would land too far in the cockpit inhibiting the fishability of the boat-- I would not rely on a suggestion to access the tower from the side--

Your options are --do a full tower/ top combination-- will be very expensive to do properly BUT will be absolutely sweet OR do a more convertible style off the existing tower-- A fold up straight ladder that can give you access to the top areas could be doable--Fold and secure to the backside of the top when not in use---(similiar to the swim ladder)--

Good luck--

pablor

Reaction score
Kevcros said:
The issue with the grady tops and towers is that the factory top is too large (i.e. overhangs the back deck by a fair amount)--when crafting a tower, the tower legs should land in the cockpit (so if you do fall, you land in the boat rather than the drink)--With the factory tops, the legs would land too far in the cockpit inhibiting the fishability of the boat-- I would not rely on a suggestion to access the tower from the side--

Your options are --do a full tower/ top combination-- will be very expensive to do properly BUT will be absolutely sweet OR do a more convertible style off the existing tower-- A fold up straight ladder that can give you access to the top areas could be doable--Fold and secure to the backside of the top when not in use---(similiar to the swim ladder)--

Good luck--

The legs in the picture stop on the gunwales, not the cockpit. There is no way to put the tower legs on the cockpit as this would disallow use of either the cooler or the livewell. That being said, any new legs would disable the rodholder on the current legs.

the idea about the fold up straight ladder is interesteing. do you have any pictures or a better description?

Thanks

art ES

Reaction score
Tower info

FastZilla said:

Thankyou Fastzilla! Im still a Grady owner 195
Ufortunately area Grady dealer for us didnt perform as well as Pursuit dealer who is local and has sold more boats, unlike you guys in the States, service is key here in this neck of the woods!!!!
Glad you like the set up, pretty complete to what we use it for here in El Salvador, Central America> can send you more info if needed
Tower goes fro $35K + instruments
Regards,
Art

Wannderer

Reaction score
I fished on that ice blue 36 the former Emma K with Kay Crocker and Joe Seegers who ran the boat out of Hatteras, the tower really didnt seem to affect the ride of the boat in a following or quarter following sea or a beam to sea. The days I fished were not super rough but a few of the days we had we ran back in souwes 15-20 knot winds and came back through the inlet when the tide was screaming out. The boat did not roll excessively at cruising speeds or trolling. I was truly surprised, but kinda makes sense as hevay and wide as that boat is and the hull design. I have fished on big custom boats like island boatworks, rybovich, merritt and production boats such as Vikings. A 61' viking is fine with a twoer. A 65' island boatworks i mated on this summer has such a deep and sharp entry and so much weight up forward and such a narrow beam that in anything other than a head sea(which that boat eats up) the boat rolled excessively. In a moderate 15-20 knot quartering followiung sea I was nervous because the boat leaned so much. But on the 57' island boatworks with just a hardtop I have fished on since i was a little kid eats up a follwoing sea better than any other 57 footer on earth I think. Anyways you can get any kind of tower on any boat. That 36 had no prob with a tower. I wouldnt have it any other way than a custom top notch one piece all new tower. Better looks, visibilty, bigger riggers, teaser reels, and whatever.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Don't know - looks like it could fall over, might just be the pics.
I'd spend time on one in a lot of conditions before taking on such an endevour. I too recall seeing something on a 30 or 33 and it not being as stable. This is a lot of work and $ to make a mistake.

Wannderer

Reaction score
Fish tales, how can u say u saw one on a 33 or a 30 and it not look stable, where was the boat, at the dock, in an inlet, cutting thru a boat wake? I can tell u that the 33 and the 36 are fine with tower, the bausch fiberglass tops are significantly less weight than gradys solid fiberglass. The tops they build are lighter and stronger. So there u lose some weight. And unless u r planning on charter fishing out of oregon inlet or hatteras north carolina and having to fish days where iyt blows 20 knots all day, then yea u probably dont want a tower, but if ur in it to enjoy your days, then a tower is fine. That 36 or 33 with a tower can take a lot more than u can.

Wannderer

Reaction score
pLUS I JUST STATED THAT I HAVE FISHED ON THAT EXACT BOAT IN THE PICK NUMNEROUS TIMES, MAYBE NOT IN A TROPICAL STORM BUT IN CONDITIONS THAT WERE NOT FAVBORABLE, IF U WANNA FISH NASTY DAYS FREQUENTLY U DONT NEED A TOWER CUZ U WONT USE IT AND IT WILL ROLL THE BOAT MORE

pablor

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the input guys. I have seen a 33 out of Pirates Cove with the tower. It has a custom top on it. I have never seen the 36 with a tower except the pictures posted in this thread. That tower from Baush is mightty expensive considering this size boat...

The local welding shop that does most towers around OBX will charge a lot less. This does not include replacing the current top which probably makes up for the big difference. The new tower sits on top of the existing top and we will put a fix ladder from the livewell side of the cockpit straight up onto the top. I hope it will look just as good for a lot less. In my mind I cannot justify replacing the whole top on this boat...

I will post pictures when its done...

Eberen

Reaction score
360 with a tower

had a tower on the 2006 (spellmans marine) and now have one on the 2008 360. Love the look, canyon fish predominantly, and never had a stability issue or performance issue.

pablor

Reaction score
Re: 360 with a tower

Eberen said:
had a tower on the 2006 (spellmans marine) and now have one on the 2008 360. Love the look, canyon fish predominantly, and never had a stability issue or performance issue.
can you post more info and pics?

Thanks!