Trip from Naples to Fort lauderdale

KentE

Reaction score
We just bought a used 36 express and live in Naples. We ned to take the boat to Fort Lauderdale for staging for a bahamas trip. Does anyone know if its faster through the lake or via the keys?

Mardel

Reaction score
I would say they're about the same amount of time. The keys look to be more relaxing though. Not as much to look out for. B2B Media says so anyway.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Kent: If you go the Lake route, make sure all the locks are operating. Below is a link that describes the locks, but I would suggest calling the Army Corps in Clewiston to confirm before you go. The locks will slow you down, especially on a weekend.

Once you hit the east coast, run down the ocean side, if you can. There is a long slow speed stretch south of Manatee pocket in Martin County and another long stretch between Jupiter Inlet and Lake Worth (Palm Beach) inlets in Palm Beach County. But the worst stretch, in my opinion, runs from south of South Lake Worth (Boynton) inlet through Broward County. But don't attempt Boynton Inlet on a strong east wind without talking to some folks on the radio first, if you're not familiar with it.

http://www.yachtdeliveryusa.com/okeechobee-bridges.htm

Either way, good luck.

Rob