Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Midnight Blue

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Black

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters

noXcuse

Reaction score
As you may know, I'm in the middle of restoring my Seafarer hull. I'd like everyone's thoughts on which color I choose. I'm painting the hull sides and sides of the hardtop with Dupont Imron. I obviously used Photoshop to change the colors. I tried to get them as close to the actual paint colors that I can get.

Original GW White

Tan/Sand

Fighting Lady Yellow

Bright Yellow

Dark Red

Medium Red

Bright Red

Silver

Midnight Blue

Black

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I really like the dark colors, but you have to keep up much more-so on the cleaning and light scratches are more noticeable. In the end, I could go either way on the Sand or Silver. I picked the silver as it's a little different than most. Are you going to paint the non-skid area on the cockpit floor to match?

noXcuse

Reaction score
I personally like the tan, black, and medium red the most myself. If I end up using tan, then I'll tape off and paint the diamond non-skid areas to match. Anything else, I'll match the original hull color for the non-skid. I'm using Imron, so scratches should buff out fairly easy. As far as upkeep though, Imron is a lot easier to take care of than gelcoat. Just rinse and wash with car soap. No constant polishing.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I totally agree with you that something like Imron or Awlgrip is superior to gelcoat - no question about that. I guess what I should of said is that the light colors require less attention since minor scratches and dirt don't show as easily. In other words... I like the "easy" approach when it comes to washing/detailing! :D But, the darker colors you mentioned would certainly look very, VERY nice! If you go with either of the darker colors, did you give any thought to painting the non-skid tan?

Either way... I'm a little perturbed that you started this thread. Well, I take that back - everything will be alright... as long as I don't show my wife your pictures!!! :roll:

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I like the Tan/Sand color - different enough to grab your attention, but subtle - not "in your face" different. (I tend to be a little conservative with my color choices for most stuff.)

I like the way you left the top part white where the logo is.

Pez Vela

Reaction score
Our old Gradys have that traditional style, even maybe a little of the commercial workboat look. Any color that substantially deviates from that just doesn't fit. I voted "silver" and, if you feel any color change is in order, silver is pretty sharp looking and distinctive, without creating a garish nightmare.

noXcuse

Reaction score
Go ahead, show the old lady. lmao. I actually haven't thought about making the hull dark and the non-skid tan. That might look good with the black sides. I got the idea of leaving the top half of the sides white, right off the Grady site. The new Freedom's come like that as an option.

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm not sure you captured Fighting Lady Yellow in your example - it almost looks a bit too yellow while I recall it being more subtle, more like this:

http://robx-7.nopistons.com/d/735-1/panel+004.jpg

If you do a Google Image search on "Fighting Lady Yellow" there seems to be a number of different shades that show up - I don't know what is going on there, perhaps some have faded.

If I was going to change color, it would be between Fighting Lady Yellow and Ice Blue shown here on the Sea Hunt color option page:

http://seahuntboats.com/new25/options/color-options

I think I would be leaning toward Ice Blue but in the end, after having said all that, would probably wimp out and pick original GW white... :|

noXcuse

Reaction score
onoahimahi said:
I'm not sure you captured Fighting Lady Yellow in your example - it almost looks a bit too yellow while I recall it being more subtle, more like this:

http://robx-7.nopistons.com/d/735-1/panel+004.jpg

If you do a Google Image search on "Fighting Lady Yellow" there seems to be a number of different shades that show up - I don't know what is going on there, perhaps some have faded.

If I was going to change color, it would be between Fighting Lady Yellow and Ice Blue shown here on the Sea Hunt color option page:

http://seahuntboats.com/new25/options/color-options

I think I would be leaning toward Ice Blue but in the end, after having said all that, would probably wimp out and pick original GW white... :|
Well, the picture you provided and my example look pretty close on my computer. With two windows opened side by side, I can tell the difference, but it's not much. I think everyone knows what Fighting Lady looks like in person. My personal opinion, I don't like light blue colors at all. It's just not my thing. The only blue I would use would be very dark blue, which I have pictured.

I don't know what it is, but the original GW white just doesn't do it for me on this body style. Makes it look too old. I know it is an old boat, but I can make it look newer with something a little more updated. You gotta keep up with the Jones'. Can't keep those knotty pine cabinets in your kitchen forever.

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
noXcuse said:
Well, the picture you provided and my example look pretty close on my computer. With two windows opened side by side, I can tell the difference, but it's not much. I think everyone knows what Fighting Lady looks like in person. My personal opinion, I don't like light blue colors at all. It's just not my thing. The only blue I would use would be very dark blue, which I have pictured.

I don't know what it is, but the original GW white just doesn't do it for me on this body style. Makes it look too old. I know it is an old boat, but I can make it look newer with something a little more updated. You gotta keep up with the Jones'. Can't keep those knotty pine cabinets in your kitchen forever.

I see your points - I think the "Bright Yellow" example had burned into my retina a little bit when I viewed the "Fighting Lady Yellow" example. I'm changing my answer from Sand/Tan to Fighting Lady Yellow... :)

As a side note - on another thread, I saw your comment on inboard power for larger boats and agree with that as well. I came very close to buying a mint, freshwater, 1993 Sailfish 254 before buying my 272 with E-tecs. If I ever graduate to a 32 footer, I'll probably be looking at twin diesels.

Cheers,
-Scott