Replacing livewell pump on 330? (Difficulty)

slimjim7

Reaction score
Took my "new-to-me" 330 out to fish this weekend for the first time. Learned quickly the livewell was not working. Seacock open, switch flipped at the helm, yet no action from the pump. I assume it needs to be replaced. Is that something I can do myself? Does the boat need to be hauled out for that work?

Thanks for the input folks,

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Before you decide the pump is bad make sure you have power, 12V DC, to the pump. Could be a fuse or circuit breaker. The bait pump has a seacock so it can be swapped out in the water. Pretty simple change. Check voltage first though. Pump is under the hatch in the rear cabin area in my 2007 330.

slimjim7

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I certainly need to check to see if it is getting power -- hopefully it's just a fuse needing replacing. This is my first "big" boat -- learning a lot.

HMBJack

Reaction score
Very easy to swap out. If you are sure the pump is faulty (after testing power connections), you can remove the pump (seacock closed), and look at the model # on it. It is in your center bildge access on the left as you face the stern. That is - on starboard side and forward of the raw water wash down sea cock.

I think you will find most West Marine stores have them on the shelf. If not, easy to order on-line.
They commonly break down due to non-use and salt. Good luck...

grady23

Reaction score
I have a '97 Gulfstream and when I replaced my livewell pump with a higher flow rating unit, I discovered that "someone" had installed a 3amp fuse instead of a 5amp. If this is a Rule brand pump, you may be able to just replace the cartridge/motor in the top of the unit. All it takes is a twist of the top about a 1/4 turn to the left. BE SURE to close the seacock FIRST!!! If replacement is needed, use the highest flow rating that will fit. Your baits will thank you by staying alive longer. I went from a 500GPH to an 800 GPH and it made a big difference in bait life.
BTW --- I would try ANYHERE but West Marine for the pump ---- They are the highest price place in the market!