Help me choose: 232 vs. 265 vs. 282

MA208

Reaction score
I currently love my 208, but it's getting near time to move up, hopefully after this season. Wife (and 2 kids) like the cabin so that's a must I guess. Boating area is northern Mass: inshore stipers and Stellwagen Bank about 15 miles out, Jeffries Ledge 25 or so for ground fish, possibly able to play the tuna game in a big enough rig. While we get some calm days, 2-5' seas are common especially in the afternoon. Future dreams may include some cruising day trips, South Shore and maybe Cape Cod, etc. but no real overnights staying on the boat that I could foresee. I figure twins are a must have.

My dealer had a 2002 265 that went quickly recently. They now have a 2006 232 with twin 150's, really clean and low hours. I'd like to keep price $80,000 or less so I'm looking used, say 2002-2008 roughly. I guess my main question is should I just get a Sailfish and be done with it, or would a Gulfstream get the job done? Anyone else been in a similar place? The other variable is that pretty much all of the 282's of this era fall in the Yamaha corrosion years so that's a big wildcard. I love my F200 now so I can't see looking at 2 strokes.

The_Chain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Go for the sailfish, be done with it and don't look back...lots on the market for that price range, if your worried about the corrosion issue then make sure you find one that has been corrected or has been scoped and passed.

capeguy

Reaction score
Get the 282. I have one and boat in these waters from the South Shore. The 282 is a great hull for this area and can take you everywhere you want to go. I have a 2006 and no corrosion issues (knock on wood)...

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Had a 2004 gulfstream and have a 2004 Sailfish - Both great boats but the Sailfish is a bigger heavier boat - the ride is much smoother although the Gulfstream is pretty decent for a 23 foot boat.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
When I bought by 265, I had originally gone to the dealer to look at a 282. They had had the 265 there, looking at the 2 boats together, I choose the 265 for my needs. It has fit those needs very well. We don't use the cabin much, other then for storage, so the smaller cabin was not an issue for us. When we go places, my wife much prefers to go the hotel route, rather then stay on the boat. The boat can handle everything I have thrown at her and probably much more. If the boat you are looking at has engines from the corrosion era, just have the dealer replace the exhausts or factor the cost of the fix into the price of the boat. The problem is wide spread and well known at this point. If the dealer wants to sell the boat to you or the next guy, the exhaust corrosion will have to be addressed.

NautiBuoys

Reaction score
I have the 23' Gulfstream and it's cockpit is the same size as the Sailfish, but less cabin and amenities inside that I don't need or would use. The difference is I can use 25% less HP (twin 150s versus twin 200s or 225s) with a sizeable fuel burn difference. As posters above said, all depends on how you will use it.