Repower or Rebuild??

bmwcycle

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2000 X26 Tigercat with 200's Yamaha two strokes with less than 200 hours. Well wouldn't you know it less than five hours of my use the starboard engine blows a powerhead. They are still trying to figure out what went wrong, but either way the power head needs to be replaced. When I bought the boat I got the computer diagnostic print out and everything was fine, who knows it is a 15 year old engine.

I have been quoted anywhere from 6k to 10k for the rebuild depending the scope and vendors. Plus I would have to spend another 2K make sure the other engine is sound. I go offshore often and need to make sure this doesn't occur again. Cost is still higher to operate, but would have more power.

Or do I repower with new 4 strokes for 25K and be done with it?

I love the boat, what time I got to spend on it. Had a world cat 26 and I like the Grady as much and am looking forward to many hours of fishing.

Thanks for all the feedback,

Also need to put outriggers on the T-top any advise??

J-Sea

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that...very frustrating...I am an avid off-shore angler and in my honest opinion, given the age of the engines (15 yrs) and that you are an off-shore person yourself, I would suggest the repower. The reliability and fuel economy on today's 4 strokes are outstanding and they last for thousands of hours when the recommended maintenance schedule is followed. If you're planning on keeping the boat for some time, go the re-power route...Otherwise, you will NOT get the dollars back that you invest on a re-power if you look to go sell the boat in the near term. All too often people re-power and then a year or two later try to sell their boat for way above market to try and re-coup the re-power cost (or a big portion of it).

Good luck!

bmwcycle

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, I agree in the long run it makes sense to repower. I will end up spend close to what I paid for the boat in the new engines. Short term pain, but long term joy looking forward to the piece of mind of twin new 4 stroke motors. Now the debate is what size. 150hp or 200hp. Yamaha or Honda??

fishbust

Reaction score
I would go with a factory fresh powerhead if new motors were not in the budget. Would not let someone rebuild it, as too often 'repaired' is what you get, junk.

Having had repaired, rebuilt and also repowered in the past.....nothing beats the feeling of hanging brand new motors on the transom. :D

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If you really like the boat, and it might soon be considered a classic, go with new 4-stroke engines. Hours of operation on engines used in saltwater service have a lot less to do with durability than age. Corrosion almost always gets them.

NIGHTIDES

Reaction score
bmwcycle said:
Had a world cat 26 and I like the Grady as much and am looking forward to many hours of fishing.

Repower-----only option..!

Why did you get out of the World Cat to go into the Grady Cat??

Clockwork

Reaction score
Those are considered some of the best motors ever built. As stated though if you do stick with them go with the new powerhead, surprisingly cheap.

But if you don't mind spending 30k then new is obviously better.

bmwcycle

Reaction score
NIGHTIDES said:
bmwcycle said:
Had a world cat 26 and I like the Grady as much and am looking forward to many hours of fishing.

Repower-----only option..!

Why did you get out of the World Cat to go into the Grady Cat??

I had 26 Leisure Cat that I loved and was a great family boat and inshore boat, I would take it off shore to go fishing which as the kids got older we did more often and needed a faster boat that was built with going offshore in mind. The Grady cat was fair priced and the engines had low hours etc... I like the lay out of the Grady, with the T-top. Now that I have to invest more money either way and I am going to the canyons I do not want to spend 30K to repower but I think it is better than spending 15k rebuilding and reconditioning the existing 13 year old two stroke motors.

Any suggestions in south jersey for who to do the work?

thanks

dbogeyman

Reaction score
If you decide to re-power let me know eresyed in delling the 200 2 strokes.
I'm in S. Jersey on LBI
Also Jarrvis Marine has worked on my 226 and I would reccommend him

Thanks

Dan

NIGHTIDES

Reaction score
bmwcycle said:
I have to invest more money either way and I am going to the canyons I do not want to spend 30K to repower but I think it is better than spending 15k rebuilding and reconditioning the existing 13 year old two stroke motors.

Glad you are going the repower route. New is new and having the engines come alive every time after turning the keys both going and especially coming back from offshore has no price tag. You are investing in both your enjoyment and your safety.

Congratulations..!