Thru hulls - 1997 Grady Adventure

Reaction score
My thru hulls have small cracks and I think are leaking water into my bilge. They are plastic and I am planning to replace with SS or brass. I went to my local dealer and they $267. for the parts and $690. for 6 hours labor. Has anyone replaced them yourselves and do you need any special tools? Thanks in advance. BSB

Pay2Play

Reaction score
Too bad your not closer I'd install them for $500...seriously there not too bad to do if think you are capable. Helps to have long skinny arms!

DaleH

Reaction score
One tip ... use marine bronze if there's ANY chance the thru-hull will be immersed in or under the water. DO NOT use SS thru-hulls for such an application! SS is only 'stainless' and when the air is not in contact with it - that is what causes SS to corrode (among other factors). Attached below is an example of a SS thru-hull used on a fitting right at the waterline. This damage is on a new boat used 1 season!

Some other tips:
-Skinny arms sure help ...
-Have the right tools on hand, e.g., waterpump pliers (lanyard to them too for any tool put into the hull lliner .. so you don't lost it)
-Put nitrile or other gloves on when sealing with 3M 5200
-Do the easy-to-get-at ones first and learn the process before tackling the harder to get at thru-hulls
-Patience ... as some sure aren't easy to get to
-Maybe a helper in some instances ...

FWIW you can buy SS and bronze thru-hulls on-line for half the price of your dealer; places like http://www.marinepartdepot.com/, http://www.surplusunlimited.com, and http://www.gemlux.com/ , same product too.

Attachments

• SS-Thru-Hull.jpg
    SS-Thru-Hull.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 4,688
  • SS-Thru-Hull.jpg
    SS-Thru-Hull.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 4,689

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
DaleH, I am getting ready to replace all my thru hulls this winter. Grady sent me all the part numbers and have not yet made it to the dealer to find out how much they will cost. Price BritestarBoston stated does not sound too bad, but not sure how many thru hulls that was for the rounded $300.00.
It seems hard to figure out what size to get for each thru hull without the Grady part numbers so not sure how you figure out which one's to get. I don't want to drill bigger holes or get thru hulls too small for the existing hole.
One thru hull in concern for me now is the SS thru hull. I am not storing boat in water,but if I ever did, would not want the damage to the SS thru hulls like you show in pics. The 4 transom scuppers will be partially in water if the boat is stored in the water. If I understood correctly, you recommend Bronze thru hulls that have water submersion possibilities. I have not yet found any that have the scupper flap valves in them so this now puts me in a stale mate on what to do....

I have seen new boats with SS that would be also partially submerged, so I wonder what that is about......

DaleH

Reaction score
ROBERTH said:
I have seen new boats with SS that would be also partially submerged, so I wonder what that is about......
The boat that had the corroded SS thru-hull as shown wasn't a GW, but I believe it was a Stamas or Tiara.

And sad to say ... but just because a new boat comes with such hardware installed doesn't mean it was the ideal piece of hardware for how it will be used in real life ...

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi folks, been busy for a while. Winterized boat so now time to get busy with some maintenance. As I mentioned earlier, I have all the part numbers from Grady for the Thru Hull replacements. I was able to convert all of them to an equivalent Attwood with help from Attwood's excellent customer service.

The only one I can't xref is one that was made by Perko per Grady spec sheet. It is the one used for the fish box. I need 4 total of this size. Grady's part number for the plastic one was 11-110 and the new Grady SS part is 11-652. I was able to figure out this was the Perko plastic number 328-6. However, it seems there is no way to contact Perko online at least about a SS replacement for this part.
The dimensions on the Grady spec sheet are cut off on the right edge of the page, so I could not get a size for the hose.
Anyone have any ideas on a replacement for this fitting? My Grady dealer is 150 miles away, so hate to drive there to get the fittings if I can just order the Attwood's online which is likely what Grady is using.

Attaching the sheet Grady sent me with specs. You can gander if you wish and might have already picked up some this size I hope....

Attachments

• 11-110.jpg
    11-110.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 4,514

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Finally just finished replacing all thru hulls with Stainless Steel! Overall was somewhat difficult in some areas due to hoses so hard to get off, but in the end, very much worth the effort! Boat looks totally different with the SS showing! Now I have more confidence in that I will not sink due to a cracked plastic thru hull!

In the end, I was able to work through my dealer to drop ship the thru hulls from Grady to me directly. I was able to source all thru hulls from Grady except for 2 which were the all threaded one's that were drains for the Livewell and Fishbox just aft of the helm. Those 2 I had to get from Attwood via one of their distributors on a special order.

I ended up with one extra thru hull that was not needed so will check to see if I can return later down the road. Guess the thru hull list I got from Grady was not exactly correct, but drawings back to 1992 were kinda rough, so understand it was hard for them to figure out what they put in this model I guess. But appreciated their help on it and got me very close.

I also put in new floor drains that go to the scuppers and Grady was able to send those to me as well. The one's I had were missing the middle so any big objects could fall down and get lodged in the hole. Hopefully, I won't have to try and dig out a bank sinker anymore! :D

RAINMAKER

Reaction score
Congrats on getting that tough job done. The piece of mind you'll have knowing that you're not taking on water from a leaking thru hull while you are 50 miles out is worth the skint knuckles. Did all mine on my 24'er what a ajob

suzukidave

Reaction score
bumping this in the hopes someone knows the real world measurements on the grady part #s or else corresponding real world part numbers.

i know i need 5x11-110 side drains , 2x11-109 scuppers, and 1 each 11-107 bow icebox and 11-180 bilge

my particular interest is the stainless equivalent of 11-110 as i have a line