Winterization

Reaction score
I have a 1988 overnighter. I just had it repowered with a new 4.3 liter OMC. I have never owned an inboard engine before. I want to use this on a weekly basis through December 31st for rockfishing in the Chesapeake bay. Can anyone tell me an easy way to winterize the motor easily, so it can still be used on a weekly basisand left in the water. No electricity at the pier so I need other guidance. Thank you

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
More info, still. Don't want to assume anything...

- Where is your raw water pump located?
- Fuel injected or carb'd?
- Do you have an external fuel filter, maybe a "spin-on"?
- When you tilt the drive up, does the intake come out of the water?
- Power steering, correct?

Kent Island Marine

Reaction score
Simply remove the drain plugs on the manifolds one on each or if the supply hose attaches to the bottom of the manifold simply loosen the hose clamp remove the hose and allow the water to drain out. Secondly you will need to drain the block there is a drain plug on either side could be a blue plastic one or bronze, they are a little hard to find but you will need to drain these of at least 1.5 gallons per side. If once the plug is removed water trickles out or does not come out at all it is still in there and needs to be drained out. Use a screw driver, pick or stiff wire to remove the rust build up blocking the drain hole. IT IS A TOTAL OF 3 GALLONS IN A 5.7 l. and it all must be drained out. Now leave your drive trimmed down so the drive is under water where it will stay warmer. Now mind you there is still residual water in the system which most likely will not pose a problem, for example the water hose from the transom assembly to the cooler or circulating pump. Or you may simply invest in a bilge heater designed to be flame proof and will maintain the engine room above freezing. Of course the smartest thing to do is to haul your boat before the really cold weather arrives and have a professional properly care for your boat. Hope this helps, John

zimm

Reaction score
You could also put a "T" on the water intake before the water pump and a couple of bronze ball valves. You can then shut the raw water intake and open the T and put a hose into a few jugs of RV/Marine antifreeze. Run the motor until you get the pink stuff coming out the exhaust. Done.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
There's still some critical info needed to help him guarantee that the engine will be safe. Some things still need to be addressed, but we need Delta to respond back.

Be very careful with simply pumping AF through. That can still lead to a cracked block as there some extra steps that need to be taken.