232 transducer issue

captainmichael

Reaction score
Transducer issues on a 232
I heard a couple of 232 owners state that they had problems getting their transducers to work. It seems that once on plane they lost the bottom (reception). Is that problem specific to the 232 design? Anyone else have this problem on their 232?

Brigator

Reaction score
I have very good reception on mine. I have twin 150 4 stroke yamahas and the transducer is in the middle of them. It is also mounted a little below the hull. The transducer is a Garmin.

GreatWhite23

Reaction score
Had a gulfstream same problem so i put a threw hull in. Worked great

captainmichael

Reaction score
Was your 232 powered by a single outboard? I am trying to send a common cause.

wlewis

Reaction score
I had a single motor 232 and never had a problem with my transducer. It was a transom mount, mounted on the port side of motor.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
This might be more productive if we took a look at where your transducer is mounted. Can you post a picture of it? I have yet to find a hull that I haven't been able to mount a transducer on. While I don't own a 232, I've certainly seen them and nothing strikes me as inherently odd about it that would prevent a transducer from working... installed in the correct place, anyways. ALL hulls have certain areas that are good spots, and certain areas that are bad spots.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Dennis is right..
I have a 2007 232 with twin 200 4-strokes and my transducer is mounted on the stbd side where the unit gets an undisturbed water flow with little or no turbulence coming off the hull. I get consistent readings at all speeds except in a following or head sea where there is excessive rocking fore and aft causing the transducer to lose contact with the water.
The exact placement is critical for consistent readings.

As an aside, my son had a Donzi CC with a stepped hull that caused a turbulent water flow aft because of the steps and we never got that one right. Idle speed to roughly 18-20 MPH was all and then it would lose contact as the boat planed off.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Stepped hulls will make it virtually impossible to use a transom-mounted ducer due to the introduction of air under the hull, which you have already figured out. In these cases, the only real option is to use a thru-hull or shoot-thru ducer mounted just forward of the first step. Depending on the boat, you may still get erratic readings at higher speeds, but this will typically only happen when you're having fun (coming out of the water). And, let's face it, if you're going that fast - a depthfinder is pretty much useless since by the time you see the reading, you're already past that spot anyways!

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Indeed!

He sold the boat due to a variety of other issues, but the trouble with the sounder/transducer caused me to really focus on getting it right with my 232. A long time trusted tech of mine did what you recommended; he found the right spot. I can sight down the hull looking forward from the transducer mount and it's smooth hull all the way forward; no chines or interruptions to prevent a clean water flow to the unit.

To address the other question..If I had a single engine, I would think my transducer would still be in the same spot. I guess less prop turbulence would be positive although that action is aft of the unit anyway while underway.