232 Gulfstream Trolling With Twin 150's question

captainmichael

Reaction score
To the owners of a 232 Gulfstream model year 2006 and newer with twin four stroke Yamaha 150's

Does anyone have experience with trolling at speeds below 2 miles per hour using 1 engine? What is the slowest speed you can go? These questions assume no trolling bags are deployed.

Any concerns about engine wear and tear at prolonged idle speeds with these 4 strokes?

Stonewall

Reaction score
I have a 2011 with twin 200s and have no problem trolling at 2 kts or less. Just turn one engine off and lower the trim tabs. (or instead or turning the engine off, just place it in neutral so the engine hours stay the same) Switch off between the two engines now and then. Those 4 strokes don't have any issues idling for hours. I normally troll across the current to take that out of play. Now if you are going with a strong current, all bets are off.

captainmichael

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I am guessing that with 150's I would be slightly lower.

Hotchief

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I troll with mine and need to bump up from idle so I can troll between 2-3 mph at 700-800 RPM.
At 600 RPM, depending on current it is no problem to troll below 2 MPH.

I rotate running the motors, I set the gauges on the hourmeter screen and I rotate them every .5 hours of trolling.
When I wrap up fishing I plan on making sure the hours match when I fire up the second engine and cruise back to port.

Works well.

As a side note, my last Grady I logged 1200 hours on a 2006 F225 and 800 of those hours were trolling....Never had any issues.

Just don't be bashful with the throttles once you're done fishing - hammer down! :twisted:

sandkin

Reaction score
My preffered trolling speed is 1.8 mph, at idle, with one F150 on, if I get going down wind over 1.8mph, I just lower my trim tabs.
On the way back to the marina at the end of the day, I run at WOT for 2 min. with both engines on,then cruise at 4000 RPM the rest of the way in.
The next day I troll on the other engine. I try to maintain equal hours on each engine.
I also have been using Ring Free and Marine Stable in my fuel for the last 4 years.

I have never been on a 232 with twin 200hp motors, but I have fished on a few with twin 150hp, 2 and 4 strokes, they never seemed short on power. And for this reason I bought mine.

cgmiller

Reaction score
If I am slow trolling for bass, I only run 1 engine. When I am drift fishing for flounder, I usually only run 1 engine when running back up current to take another drift or when I am drifting over a wreck for fluke, I run 1 engine to keep over the wreck or back and forth...I do try to switch off engines, but my starboard engine has 10 hours more than the port engine and it was like that when I got the boat..the engines are 04's with 1100 hours on them...has not seemed to effect the engines...