upgrade?? 228 to 25 sailfish

2ndtry

Reaction score
Thinking of selling my current 228 and buying a 25' sailfish. My seafarer is a seav2 hull with the grady bracket 200 carbed yamaha. I'm looking at older non seav2 25' sailfishes with twins mounted on the transom. My thoughts are i'm moving up to twin engines wider beam little more deck space for fishing, but losing seav2 and full transom with bracket. I fished a 78 212 chesapeake for 30 years before the seafarer and could not believe the difference in ride when I ran the seafarer. I really like my seafarer and i'm wondering if you guys think this would be an upgrade or down grade. Would the bigger older boat handle rougher seas better or worse. Pros and cons whadda you guys think?

GW 255

Reaction score
The seafarer is a really nice riding boat with the Sea V 2 hull i have ridden on a few friends boats and it is typically a nice ride. i own an 87 255 sailfish with a single 300 etec and love the boat. I boat mainly in the eastern long island sound/ fishers island area and the boat performs really well in the confused chop and ocean swell. I think where i notice the biggest difference is in the reaction to waves and chop with the sailfish, it doesnt have a tendency to wanna slap or bounce around at all. The ride is dry unless you are really in decent snot and stuck with a bad approach angle. in the end it all depends on how you like to run and where you will run the boat. PM me if you want any more info on engine set up/ performance, as i have had twins on this boat as well.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I dont know your budget so it is hard to advise here. If and when I make a move to a bigger hull it will be an Islander 27 or maybe a marlin with SeaV2 hull. I wish Grady still made the Islander but they dont. You are gaining 3 feet of running surface and that alone would seem to be an improvement in ride even if it is the older design. I would like the comfort or piece of mind twins bring when running offshore as well. It is why I try to keep my motor in good shape and tuned up. Plus having an epirb gives me a piece of mind too. Good luck with your search.

2ndtry

Reaction score
Thanks for the insights. My budget is pretty much invest what I would get for the seafarer into the larger boat knowing that I will have to go back in the year of the boat. My fishing has been out of Delaware for the past 40 years. It used to be 95% Del bay but the fishing just don't seem to be very good anymore, so lately it's mostly out indian river inlet and ocean fishing. Maybe i'm just getting old but I was caught in a really bad storm in the bay many years ago on the 212 chesapeake that I don't ever want to experience again. Weather reports and communications are alot better now but as I find myself going farther out I want to put myself on the best boat my budget will allow.

Maybe they're not the best, maybe they are. but Gradys are the only option for me.

Here are some reports of that day from another site.

In the Memorial Weekend storm as it is now called lots of boats hid behind freightors that were anchored in the lower bay. All you could hear on VFH were May Day calls. We know one person that told us he was trying to beach his boat at Slaughter Beach, DE and swears he was picked up by a tornado or water spout and ended up on the beach with his family in the boat. For those that experienced it they will always remember that day. We used to call the Delaware Pilot Station and they would tell us where and what directions the storms were coming with their powerful radar. Even today boats without long range radar call us for advise on the track of storms when fishing over on the Delaware side for drum in the spring. There has been quite a few times we slowed down for boats to follow in our wake to break the waves around Brown Shoal when the waves kicked up to 6 feet or better with winds well over 30 knots. If you fish on the bay in the spring and early summer it is only a matter of time before you get caught in one of these nasty storms and it is even more risky if you are over on the dark side drumming. We scan every channel and have real time Doppler radar and we are more than glad to help share any weather information when drum or striper fishing on the Delaware Bay in spring.

I was out in that Memorial Day storm. I was probably about 16 yrs old. Thank God I was on a big party boat (I believe it was the Lazy Bones). Had a dead body float past us face down and a woman hanging on to a capsized boat screaming for her life. We tried to throw her a line, but she drifted by us too fast. Luckly for her, a smaller boat following us in was able to pick her up. That was one ugly day!

We were on my father's 28ft pacemaker..somewhere between the outer wall and the cape may rips. We were fishing and I mentioned to my father that there was some nasty clouds out towards brown shoal way. We waved it off as a passing storm. It eventually got close and the wind started to pick up. It was blowing a good 15-20 with 3-4 footers..this wouldnt be for long. The wind picked up fast to well over 30..waves I guesstimate to be 6-8. We then procedded to haul a$$ back to Lewes. We got in safely..but drenched. Once we got the boat tied up..the rain got horizontal and the wind was over 50 mph! When we got home we watched on the local philly station that 3 people were lost and something like 20 boats were capsized. I'm just glad my mother was with us to help 'coax' my dad to get in!

captain swag

Reaction score
Depending on budget and what kind of a tow vehicle you presently own or plan to own, the 265 Express with its wider beam is also one heck of a boat, particularly in really bad seas. Said from experience, it is a beast.

fishbust

Reaction score
Definitely stay with a bracket boat or eurotransom for best handling, driest on the drift and most room in cockpit, which is the most important part of the boat.