Is a 255 too big for water skiing and beaching?

SeaHound7

Reaction score
Started looking at 255's, love the room and ability to be in a slightly bigger boat offshore, but still need to have family time abilities. This normally includes tubing, water skiing and beaching for picnics. Worried that she might be too heavy for those activies, any experiences?

eppem

Reaction score
I have a 265 express and we used to tube with my kids all the time - waterski no. As for beaching, never really "beached" but have brought into shallow water to go to the beach, etc. When engines are up we can walk the boat in really close.

Hope that helps..

EPPE

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Not too big, at all. It'll just throw a bigger wake, is all. I do it with my 28' Sea Ray cruiser. As far as beaching goes, you can beach a 40' inboard boat with the right conditions. Your boat really doesn't draft all that much more than a 21-footer... go for it. Although, personally, I prefer to use a stern anchor and bow anchor (or line to a rock, etc) so I'm not constantly scratching the bottom of the boat.

Rustygaff

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
We shallow water our 255 all the time. I will take it into the shallows (3') and throw out the hook to dig clams. When we leave, I just make sure to only drop the motor enough that the intakes can get coolant and slowly motor out into deeper water. This particular boat does not need alot of water. We never pulled a tube (yet) but the F300 has plenty of power to make it happen.
The 255 is a great boat. Big enough to handle the snot but small enough to play. We have run out to Block Island (RI) on several occasions and have run into some crappy seas on the way back. Never feared for our safety in the 255. A heavy boat for it's size and it can take alot more punishment than my wife or I can take.

Karter34

Reaction score
I have a 255 freedom and use it for water skiing and wakeboarding.
Great boat love it too bits.
Going off the shelf for marlin tomorrow .
Best all round boat hands down

Fishtales

Reaction score
I agree. I have the 300 and need to be careful beaching and tubing. I do it a lot both beaching it on a spit and also just anchoring up. Just have (2) anchors, one being a smaller one you can run off the aft. This will give you the control to go anywhere.