Cleaning Connections Behind Switch Panel

Jonah

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi everyone,

Below are some pictures of the wires and connections behind my accessory switch panel. Quite grimy, and I haven't unplugged them all to see how the actual wire ends look. Just wondering about the best way to go about cleaning, and then protecting, the connections for the future? (Had found that one faulty switch just had a bad connection.)

On another thread, I think that Lt.Mike said he sprays these with WD-40, but I may have misunderstood him?

Thanks for any tips.

Attachments

• IMG_0196.JPG
    IMG_0196.JPG
    255.1 KB · Views: 1,423
  • IMG_0197.JPG
    IMG_0197.JPG
    279.3 KB · Views: 1,423

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
If they are working fine I would be inclined to leave them alone. Otherwise chlorinated (non flammable) electric contact cleaner they sell at autozone would remove much of that grime. I actually spray my contacts with grease from time to time to keep moisture out.

On poor connections a wire brush or sandpaper on the male side, and perhaps a little squeeze to snug the fit when you reconnect.

freddy063

Reaction score
I use a electric contact spray cleaner from NAPA and a brass wire brush for the parts I can get to, and the spray and pipe cleaner for the small nooks and cranny that look like they need to be cleaned. Then sometimes I use a dielectric grease , the same stuff i use on all my boating electronics back connectors or a oil base corrosion preventive spray to put a light coat over everything to prevent any farther troubles.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
p39163.jpg

...PepBoys

jbrinch88

Reaction score
There is no spray that will simply remove corrosion on electrical connections and make them new. They're 20 years old, aside from replacing them the next best thing would be to remove them one by one and clean them with a dremel and a file bit attached to it.

Re-connect and spray on some corrosion inhibitor. Pick your favorite flavor.

freddy063

Reaction score
jbrinch88 said:
There is no spray that will simply remove corrosion on electrical connections and make them new. They're 20 years old, aside from replacing them the next best thing would be to remove them one by one and clean them with a dremel and a file bit attached to it.

Re-connect and spray on some corrosion inhibitor. Pick your favorite flavor.

It doesn't make it like new, but the spray work very well, better than brake cleaner , and it lifts a lot of the old corrosion and oxidization off the connector, I was surprised myself.

Willy-C

Reaction score
If it was mine, I'd cut off and replace the female connectors, clean/sand the males and coat the mating parts in silicon dielectric grease and fugetabowtit