What's everybody doing on their Grady this weekend?

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My Grady is sitting on the trailer, our Surburban was wrecked last week, (no one hurt) so we can't launch our boat at Lake Greenwood. We are looking for a friend to help launch her and pull her out Monday. What are y'all doing?

Don't forget what Memorial Day is all about.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Saturday we are hitting Fontana Lake...doing a lot of relaxing. Then I am hoping over to go camping at Standing Indian in the Nantahala National Forest.

Dogfish

Reaction score
Just sold mine. It's going to be a sad weekend. Going fluke fishing with Pops to take my mind off of losing my Grady.
Good news though, the new one should be ready in the next few week(s) :D

Sharkbait282

Reaction score
Pre-season at Champlan's in Block, they were doing a 2-fer-1 deal on nights, so we'll run out Sat AM and stay through Monday AM. I think a few other Grady's out of Narragansett are headed out as well.

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
This is why we don't have a tow vehicle this weekend. No one was hurt Thank the Lord. We have a friend from Church who has a Yukon XL that he is going to loan to us till we get situated so it's off to the lake!
IMG_2428_zpso6h36qop.jpg

Rustygaff

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
I fixed an ignition problem I had on my f300. I changed out the spark plugs before the spring launch and the motor skipped a bit when pouring on the coals. Evidently I did not seat one of the spark plug boots correctly and it was missing. All is good now. Took a quick ride from Westerly over to Mystic for lunch this afternoon. The boat ran like a champ! :)

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Friday afternoon last week, headed to the lake, heavy traffic on the interstate and not towing. Switched lanes and pulled in behind a truck with a solid steel rear end hauling some kind of equipment. As soon as we pulled in behind him he stops on the interstate, we didn't. No one hurt and the 2 dogs were OK also. Found out Onstar really works, they were on the car phone immediately. All OK.

Last year new engine in this thing (Active Fuel Management screwed up 2 cylinders), new tires, new fuel pump control module, new fuel tank pressure valve. Spent about $10,000 on this thing in the last 12 months and now looking for something else. We thought it made more sense to replace the engine instead of spending $65,000 on a new one. Looking for something that does not have the AFM now, like a 2009 Yukon XL with the 6.2L. I won't buy another GM with the AFM aka cylinder deactivation fiasco installed.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
G-crazy glad no one was hurt and sorry about your truck.
You've got a couple of weeks of ins BS but it's better than an injury.

As for my plans it'll be with friends and definitely staying off the water.
On the Jersey Shore the flood of summer tourists has moved in as has the drinking and obnoxious behavior, not all behave like that but enough to make us locals sit it out. I'm a mid week guy hitting the water when it's quiet. I have a trout stream in my backyard I might hit instead. :)
Mike.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Were you towing the boat at the time? If so, need to look at damage to the trailer from the impact and everything moving forward...can bend the coupler and/or buckle the frame.

Glad you guys are OK. I know you had a bad experience with AFM so I won't try to talk you out of another GM product. There are a bunch of late model Sequoia's out there....

JeffN

Reaction score
Mine is still in the backyard. Weekend weather here has not been particularly conducive for getting the boat ready this spring. Hull is waved, topsides from cockpit forward all cleaned up and waxed. This weekend I cleaned and waxed everything under the helm enclosure and cleaned the cabin in preparation for loading her up for the season. Today after finishing cabin cleaning I tracked down what I think was causing my jumpy trim gauge. Cleaned up a couple of iffy connectors at the rear of the motor. Functioning fine now. Will start the engine this week after work and try to get the bottom and drive painted next weekend.

Meanwhile

Reaction score
I took clients halibut fishing out of Garibaldi, OR. In May I cant complain about the weather, we had 2 fishable days this weekend. It was great fun to get a man his first halibut.

The clients loved the ride my Marlin provides over their smaller aluminum boats.

Randy

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Rallied the troops and went to Lanier this afternoon...I typically try to avoid the holiday weekends. It was a good news/bad news kind of day....bad news was it rained (HARD)...but the good news was it (1) chased a number of folks off the lake and (2) made for some perfect glass for the kids to ride the tube. Good dinner at a waterside restaurant and a sunset to boot on the way back. I do have some cleaning to do tomorrow.....

Firenailer

Reaction score
I went out yesterday in spite of myself knowing how holiday weekends are. I'm usually a mid weeker when things are nice and peaceful.

A couple of buddies wanted to go Fluking so we went out for a few hours. I swear it gets worse every year. First big weekend, and every clown who never took a boating class is out and apparently well "lubricated".

It's sad because most of my buddies still work and weekends are the time they can go, but I can't stand the nuttiness of weekend boating. We had a good time out there and it's nice to share the boat with friends, but I think I'll stick to weekdays.

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Parthery said:
Were you towing the boat at the time? If so, need to look at damage to the trailer from the impact and everything moving forward...can bend the coupler and/or buckle the frame.

Glad you guys are OK. I know you had a bad experience with AFM so I won't try to talk you out of another GM product. There are a bunch of late model Sequoia's out there....

Thankfully not towing, we were headed to Lake Greenwood where our Grady is kept. I am looking at 2009 Yukon XL 6.2L, no AFM or a 2013 Sierra with 6.2, again no AFM. I will take a look at the Sequoias I know they are fine vehicles. btw, we came through Atlanta on the way back from Huntsville where our son lives. I think the Lord is trying to tell us not to drive the Suburban to Al. Last year the engine failed 2 days before we were to leave and this year this.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Firenailer said:
I went out yesterday in spite of myself knowing how holiday weekends are. I'm usually a mid weeker when things are nice and peaceful.

A couple of buddies wanted to go Fluking so we went out for a few hours. I swear it gets worse every year. First big weekend, and every clown who never took a boating class is out and apparently well "lubricated".

It's sad because most of my buddies still work and weekends are the time they can go, but I can't stand the nuttiness of weekend boating. We had a good time out there and it's nice to share the boat with friends, but I think I'll stick to weekdays.
Its going to be like that, especially starting July. Its what some think boating is, hop on the boat, motor to an island or sandbar, grill, get drunk motor home. Same with other things like some wanna-be bikers, ride to the bar, pose, talk about riding and bikes without actually riding, get drunk, then go home.
Basically its taking what they think they like in life and wrapping it around getting drunk (the hidden priority). Damned shame.

I'll take the weekdays when the water is quieter and the folks that enjoy boating and fishing, just boating and fishing are out.
Speaking of which how'd you do on fluke?
We went out last week for them and saw none. May be too early. We caught 3 skate and a bluefish. There were schools of bunker and I snagged a couple 12"ers for livelining but no stripers would bite for us. By the way the new livewell system worked great. We ended up chunking the bunker and caught 5 huge dogfish. Ya I know dogfish but they saved the day being a blast doubling the lighter fluke rods and burning drag. Got looks from other other boats that were otherwise fishless. We didn't have fish for the cooler but it was fun!
We even had a west wind laying the seas flat. :mrgreen:
Mike.

Firenailer

Reaction score
Sounds like fun Mike! As long as somethings tugging the other end of the line I'm happy! I'm up in Westchester and fish the Western Sound. We worked both sides but did better on the LI side. My Buddy's both went home with fish so they were pretty happy.

Honestly, I thought it was a miracle we were catching at all but I've gotta admit I liked being out with a couple of other guys, and I was really happy to send them home with fish.

I'll fish again tomorrow and then give the boat a good deep cleaning back at the dock on a nice peaceful Tuesday!

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Firenailer;
Read your post to sell your 208...

If your enjoying the boat, why not take it inland when you guys move? The Adventure is easy to tow and can fit in a backyard.

Firenailer

Reaction score
Hey Bill, this is my second 208 and I've had a lot of fun on both of them but I'm not going to be near any big water when we move. I like fishing lakes too, so I'll adjust. Life changes, weren't really expecting this when I replaced my 96 Grady but it is what it is.