Grady hull weight

wlewis

Reaction score
I've noticed the hull weight of at least one model, Freedom 225, is unchanged after the factory's switch from wood to composite transom and stringers. I haven't checked the other models. I would think the composite hulls should be lighter. Am I wrong?

seasick

Reaction score
wlewis said:
I've noticed the hull weight of at least one model, Freedom 225, is unchanged after the factory's switch from wood to composite transom and stringers. I haven't checked the other models. I would think the composite hulls should be lighter. Am I wrong?
Composite doesn't necessarily mean lighter. Have you compared the weight of composite decking to regular pressure treated lumber:)
In addition, some members may need to be beefier to get the same rigidity as wood.
Finally, the weight of the transom coring and stringers is a small percentage of total hull weight especially when you realize that the stated weight includes everything that is attached to it like tanks, seats head, windshield, mechanicals less motors, hardware and on and on.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Another reason could simply be a mistake in the printed brochure, or the specs are simply a little "behind" the actual. Check the second or third model year for the new redesign - see if it's any different. It may not be - but I have seen this before.