1986 190 tournament floor question

jb235

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a 1986 190 Tournament.its has always been a fresh water boat kept in the finger lakes of New York..I always have kept her up, my question is the floor panel which covers the fuel tank ( I previously removed that cover to replace all fuel lines) has a soft spot, I as I walk over that cover I can feel a little flex or give to the floor cover.Any suggestions on where to repair or recommend a place that does these repairs as I trust you guys here..I have not called Grady yet, thought maybe get lucky and somehow have a replacement floor.
I am sure I am just overlooking a simple fix for this..It just bothers me that deck cover moves as I step on it.I cant complain since I am the 2nd owner, and am still friends with the original owner.Thanks in advance for any input and advice.. Jim

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
For anyone that has worked with glass, recoring a hatch is super simple. For someone that is handy, but has never done it before, it is not hard, either. Basically, cut the bottom layer of glass off, scrape/cut/sand the wood core out completely, replace the core with wood or composite, and add a layer or two of glass. It's the underside - it doesn't have to be especially pretty.

Do some searching on this website, there's a number of us that have done and posted about it - lot's of good reading if you want to tackle it yourself! Make it a Winter project.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had an '86 190 Tournament as well.....the floor was OK but the hatch over the floor storage compartment got soft. Same type job - remove the hatch - grind out the fiberglass behind it. Epoxy in a piece of marine grade plywood and glass over it. Not terribly difficult and a good experience working with glass. If I did it again today I'd find some lighter composite material though...the hatch was incredibly heavy from the plywood.

jb235

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, sounds like a straight forward project, I will tackle this winter..been doing some research as you suggested,any idea on a recommendation for the caulk to use when putting it back in 3m?..Thanks again for th input..I guess the hardest will be getting the old wood out of that hatch cover I am sure thats going tobe tough,but a good winter project..thanks again

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
If you choose to use wood cut your core to size and then cut it into small pieces, trowel your putty and place all the pieces in leaving a little space. Spread your putty over the wood pushing it into the little spaces. Follow up with your glass. If you ever have a water problem again it only effects the one little cell.....or use a composite ;)

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
An oscillating tool makes quick and easy work of cutting the underskin off - it also can be used to scrape the existing wood off.

3M makes good stuff (don't use 5200, though). Me, personally, I prefer the BoatLife products.