2003 HPDI 250s

Tatt00z

Reaction score
Hello friends, I need a new set of motors for my 90 Grady 28 Marlin. I see a gentleman in Fords NJ has a set of HPDI 250s I been eyeing up. I am very new at the repowering game, I tried going at it last year, taking a gentlemans words on a set of OX 66 250s, and bought a bad motor, so Im a little timid about making the same mistake twice. What do I need to do to ensure I get a good set of used motors. Thanks Glen

fellinger

Reaction score
Is this the 2003 set on Facebook? I think he wants $11k for them? I saw them too. They look clean. I guess the best thing to do would be a mechanic who could run the factory software checks, run them in the water and look them over for you. A few hundred dollars up front beats a lot more after the sale. I am sure you could work the cost of the mechanic into the deal.

Gianni

Reaction score
Let us know how you make it. I want to swap my ox66 on my 272

gw204

Reaction score
I have no direct experience with HPDI, but don't the 250s have the reputation of being pretty much the worst motor Yamaha ever made?

If you pursue, have someone in the area that is very well versed in HPDI motors check them out.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The 250 hp HPDI has been a problematic engine.

Rather that going in to details, Google "250 hp HPDI problems".

Tatt00z

Reaction score
Thank you for your help gentlemen. I'll let you all know what I decide.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
The OX 66's were bullet proof motors....but what are they now? 14 years old? Even the best ( and they were) motors will eventually die. I'd be more inclined to rebuild/replace power heads on the OX66's than try another set of used HPDI's.

If I were in your shoes, I'd look for a pair of newer 4 strokes, yam, zuk, Honda in the 20-30K range. The only thing worse than spending money is not being able to use ur boat...

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Keep looking, there are better engines out there.

Tatt00z

Reaction score
Ok, so I drove up to Jersey yesterday, checked out the motors. Compression was 125-130 on all cylinders. Checked every cylinder with bore scope, pistons looked
shiny and and great, no signs of detonation problems. Laptop hooked up to both motors, 680 hours on port 683 to starboard. only faults were 6 overheat records last one a 330 hours. 114 over rev control record last one at 391 hours. Motors were quiet, very little smoke, pushed the 32 Regulator to 48 mph very quickly and flawlessly. Motors were well maintained, paint looked new, under cowling was spotless. Boat and motors were well cared for. Gentleman selling motors , says he fishes offshore mostly, and is repowering with 350 yam 4 strokes. Everything looked great for as much as I could tell. And advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Glen

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
It sound like a "best case scenario" for used 2 strokes if that is what you're looking for. Check NADA values.

gw204

Reaction score
Tatt00z said:
only faults were 6 overheat records last one a 330 hours. 114 over rev control record last one at 391 hours.

6 overheats and 114 over revs? I wouldn't touch those things!!!

seasick

Reaction score
gw204 said:
Tatt00z said:
only faults were 6 overheat records last one a 330 hours. 114 over rev control record last one at 391 hours.

6 overheats and 114 over revs? I wouldn't touch those things!!!
These alarms are not necessarily a bad sign especially if there haven't been any in 300 hours or so. Just sucking a plastic bag onto the water inlets will result in an over heat alarm and sooner or later, everybody sees a few of those. There are other things like sucking sand, motor trimmed up too far etc that can lead to an over heat alarm. The motor trimmed up too far can also lead to an over rev alarm. The ECU will kick in the over rev logic at a set RPM depending on the motor model. Just hitting a decent wave crest can lift the prop high enough out of the water to cause the rev protection to kick in when you are cruising near WOT. Depending on the prop, over revs can occur just by running WOT.

I am not sure if that motor gives the hours at specific revs report. That can tell how hard the motor was run or in some cases how slow it was run. That report can tell a lot about actual use/abuse
The fact that the visual inspection and compression test looked good is about as good as you can hope to see. If the seller has maintenance logs, that helps too since it shows care.
I always tell folks to look at the condition of the boat it self as an indicator of the mechanicals. If the boat is well maintained and neat, there is a decent chance that the owner took care of the machinery too.
Now on the other hand, there have been issues with those HPDIs and often there isn't a lot of notice but rather more of a kaboom situation. The price is an important factor and without knowing otherwise, I wouldn't write them off just because they are HPDIs.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Yea, easy to over rev, come out of a big swell and props pop out. Overheat ? Could be on the flusher or sucked up obstructions. HPDI wasn't one of Yamaha's success stories for sure ( like the OX66) but a few still out there. like another poster mentioned the price would need to be attractive.

Tatt00z

Reaction score
We are negotiating the price now, everything except for steering ram and props 7500.00 he's asking. I threw out 6000.00 waiting for a counter offer. They have been online for over 2 months, if they were such a great deal, I would have guessed they would of moved by now. I'll keep everyone posted, thanks for all the input.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That's a good deal on those motors. Yea, these have been problematic but if you can head off the problems before they happen...great. The biggest problem being the fuel system. The first thing I would do is install 2-micron Racor fuel filters. Search THT Yamaha HPDI Mystery Filters. It's probably up to about 20-pages now. There are numerous filter screens through the motor that are very fine and tend to clog. Especially if you have an old boat that was run on non-ethanol fuel. I also believe there was an upgrade to the oil system. When this motor is running correctly, and properly propped it's screams. Owners also claim they are pretty economical to run.

Tatt00z

Reaction score
Looks like I'm the new owner of twin HPDI's. We agreed on a price, motors will be pulled Saturday, crated and waiting for me to pick up Tuesday. Will bring home , have my marina pull my motors, I'll do all the wiring, and just let them do the heavy lifting. Feeling anxious, and a little nervous especially because of my last experience of buying on someones word. Anyway, I will be putting the other motors on ebay and get whatever I can for them, the port runs strong, starboard would just be a supplemental parts motor for the other. Thanks for all your help, and I'll follow up once spring Rockfish season starts.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Good Luck. It should be a very strait-forward changeover. You should keep your eyes out for an OX replacement and keep a spare pair of motors in the basement..LOL..

Tatt00z

Reaction score
I looked for a OX replacement for a few months. A few in Fla, and one in Suffolk Va. One gentleman on ebay wants 7600.00 for one, the other guy wants 5900.00 , well hell, I got 2 HPDIs
with all the riggings and binnacle and 45 gallons of Yamahalube for about the same. Both motors checked out pretty good, looked really great, so it was kind of a no brainer for me.
Hopefully it works out better than the last pair.
Glen