Quest about 205 vs 225 Freedom/Tournament

madsmith

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm looking to purchase my first boat to use around Cape Cod, and I'm pretty well decided on a freedom/tournament. It seems like everyone advises me to get the biggest boat I can, and so I'm partial to the 225. However, they are pretty hard to come by and are fairly expensive or the ones in my budget ($50k) seem to be older. On the other hand, the 205s are more abundant and I can get a newer one in that price range.

So, my question is, on this boat, how much will I need that extra size on the 225? I'll mostly be using it for day cruising, beach buggy, a trip to MV every once in a while when the weather's good. More often than not it will be me and 1 or 2 others, but then there will definitely be times where I'd love to load up with 8 people and go for a long day trip. Will it make a big difference on spaciousness for people? Will it make a difference in the waters it can handle?

This newbie thanks you kindly for any advice!

Cheers,
Matt

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I had a192 and stepped up to the 228. It was a significant difference in how the boat handles and space. The 225 has a bracket and the cockpit is really spacious for a 22 footer. You will notice the space difference between the two boats.

The 225 will ride better and the 205 is just a tad bigger than my 192 was. I have been on a 205 . They are nice boats. If you have a choice to get the 225 you won't regret it. I also understand budgets and newer is often nicer. You may want to expand your search area for both boats as in a few states up or down the eastern seaboard?

kgs365

Reaction score
i have a 205 2006 with 150 yamaha we love the boat have a 208 prior to this we boat out of chatham ma. i'll pick the days but we have taken it to nantucket and fish around monomy rips etc as well as the local beaches ...never been on a 228 but in looking at them they seem to be a 205/208 hull with a bracket on it not sure how much that improves ride ?...but I'm sure it gives you more cockpit space...p.m. me and i'd be happy to jump on a call and talk to you more...if your in the chatham area i'm happy to show you the 205

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
The 205 is a 20 foot hull and 225 is a 22 foot hull before the bracket. They are two different boats. It is more than 2 feet of length as volume and displacement go up.

capt1947

Reaction score
I have a 95 223 Tournament with a 200 Yamaha. I fish this boat here in SW Florida and also use it for family outings. I have found that the cockpit space is more than adequate and the bow seating is very accommodating. I couldn't be happier with the versatility offered by this model.

I do think that you could get a nice used Tournament for reasonable money. There are a couple of things that I would look for,however.

Buy a Grady new enough to have the sea vee hull form. Very stable and dry.
I would try for a 4 cycle Yamaha
I wish I had a bracket.

Good luck
Capt1947

tellch00

Reaction score
both fine choices. This past summer was my first as a boat owner having bought an '06 205 the previous Fall. Used it a ton and already have the itch for something a bit bigger. We're limited in size in our community so it's either a 225 or 235. Stepping onto the 22 from our 20 it doesn't feel significantly bigger. The 23 felt huge. I took the 23 for a test drive and obviously, it isn't terrible!

Like you said, no one ever died wishing they had a smaller boat. The 20 will most likely serve all your needs - it does for me. however, if you're like me and think you may end up with something bigger at some point, may as well just skip that step and get it. Will be cheaper in the long run.

madsmith

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll check back in after I look at a few boats in the next couple of weeks.

dredey

Reaction score
What'd you end up getting.?

We love our 1998 223 tourney.