2005 express with leaking fuel tanks

duckhunter

Reaction score
any suggestions, shop says I have to have them custom built $800 for tanks and another $800 to replace

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
duckhunter said:
any suggestions, shop says I have to have them custom built $800 for tanks and another $800 to replace

What do you mean by "suggestions"? The price seems pretty reasonable - at just $400/tank - that's actually dirt cheap. I would expect the tanks to be more like $800 a piece - especially if the shop is making a few bucks on it (which is reasonable). Figure 3-ish hours to remove/replace each tank - sounds very reasonable, too. Actually, it could be on the low side depending on what they run into with the removal.

The only thing I can think of to "suggest" is that if you want to keep the costs down is to remove the tanks yourself, measure the tanks accurately for size, order the tanks yourself and then reinstall.

Fishtales

Reaction score
doesn't appear to meet the definition of BOAT. if the place is legit, sounds like a good price.....

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Thats a great price. I replaced a 90 gallon tank about 10 years ago on a previous boat. The tank alone cost over 1k. Are both tanks leaking and are you replacing both. Also think about replacing all fuel lines and everything else you have access to while the floor is up.

The other question is why did the tank leak in the first place?

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
duckhunter said:

You started a post in August about fuel smell and never followed up with a reply. Based on this post, I guess you found the issue. It would be nice to let us know the details as those of us with similar vintage boats will know to keep an eye (or nose) out for the same...

Also, 1600 bucks doesn't sound unreasonable for replacing both tanks if the shop has a good reputation.

duckhunter

Reaction score
Yes, I finally found the leak after it got a lot worse, I thought price was good, they are going to rubber coat the bottom of the tanks. My old Viking had fiberglass tanks, wonder why grady didn't go that route?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Fiberglass tanks... If someone were to use gas with ethanol in it, it will slowly soften the tank and dissolve the resins and they don't burn so nicely inside the engine. They can cause engine issues.