How to Remove Vinyl Streaks?

Jonah

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi all,

While preparing to put the vinyl insert back into my rub rail, I placed the entire insert in my cockpit, and then walked around the cabin, pulling on one end. As the vinyl followed me, it left blue streaks on the outside corners of the cabin, near the bow.

Any tips on the best way to remove these?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The vnyl, over time, gets oxidized - esepcially if it's not protected. When that happens, the vinyl material easily comes off. The good thing is that if the marks are on fiberglass, then they can be taken off with Goof Off, Naptha, Lighter fluid, acetone... etc. None of those will harm the fiberglass.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I've gotten it off marks with Colinite 920 cleaner and sometimes with wax alone. Don't forget to wax over whatever you clean with.

seasick

Reaction score
I get the same kind of marks from the garden hose dragging across the top of the gunnels. As mentioned, I use a wax/cleaner as a first solution. That usually works. If it doesn't, go to a little more abrasive polish.
The better waxed the surfaces are, the easier the stains come off.
I also use the Collonite

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Good point on cleaner/wax... might as well start with something that also waxes at the same time (granted, not as good as pure wax)! Of course, if the boat is currently not waxed and is oxidized, you don't want to make a clean spot! All that will do is prompt you to "need" to do the whole boat! :)

Jonah

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks everyone,

Very helpful! And Dennis has a great point about creating a need to do the whole boat ...

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I solved my garden hose marking problem by buying a 25 foot, white, drinking water hose from the RV store. I keep it coiled up out by the boat and I connect it on to the end of the garden hose when I wash the inside of the boat. No more marks to clean.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Halfhitch said:
I solved my garden hose marking problem by buying a 25 foot, white, drinking water hose from the RV store. I keep it coiled up out by the boat and I connect it on to the end of the garden hose when I wash the inside of the boat. No more marks to clean.

Dang! Why didn't I think of that?

I get the hose marks all over my gunnels while washing also, then have to break out the cleaner/wax to get that off. Off to Wally World I go for a RV drinking hose.

Thanks Halfhitch!!

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
SkunkBoat said:
did you ever have someone "help" clean the boat and drag the hose across the greasy steering arm??? :-|

:lol: Ha ha ha...Yes, I sure have. Sometimes one must bite ones tongue when the help shows up. We have a guy that is a blast to fish with and does his share of everything. When it comes time to clean the fish tho we find something else for him to do because you can't recognise the fillets when he's done. He is gung-ho on everything he does. He falls heir to boat cleaning duties and when you mentioned dragging the hose through the grease a mental picture of my fishing buddy flashed through my mind. Its' good to know that we are all pretty much living in the same world.