Scupper Hose Replacement

'84Offshore

Reaction score
the hoses that go from my deck drains to the scuppers are dried out and need replacement. The hoses are VERY rigid......any hints on replacing them? Do the scuppers need to be removed?

no problem

Reaction score
I just replaced my scuppers about an hour ago. If you still have plastic scuppers it would be a good time to to consider stainless steel. I just installed gemlux scuppers from ebay @ $40 each. If I were going to change the hose only I would cut them in the middle with a sawzall with a metal cutting blade and remove them in 2 pieces. Hope this helps. Jim

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Can't tell from your sig pic but if you still have any of the plastic thru hulls still in place you are definately pushing your luck and that includes your transon scuppers.

Mine grenaded last season, luckily I noticed them right away.

Pretty sure I saw an article last seaon with a pic of a guy sitting on top of his overturned hull waiting to be picked up by the CG.
Article stated he was taking on water because of a failed thru hull fitting.

For your peace of mind if nothing else since you may or may not get any warning before they fail and they will fail.

ahill

Reaction score
Has any one accesed 272 starboard scuppers without cutting in some access plates?
I've heard the heater hose used referred to as 10 year hose because thats how long it lasts.

'84Offshore

Reaction score
I plan on removing the hoses today and will look at the scuppers....I think they are plastic. the port side thru hulls are bronze (?) but the starboard sides are plastic........guess the PO only replaced 1 side......

'84Offshore

Reaction score
Removed hoses today......scuppers seemed fine......gave them a few good tugs when removing the hoses and all seems well.

The deck drains were also removed when the hoses were removed......don't like the way they are going back in.......seems like they a "cocking" when I tighten the flange under the deck.......haven't put them in permanently yet.......maybe it just needs silicon?

JUMPNJACK

Reaction score
Finesse!

84Offshore! Good to see you pop up! Right after you started this post I did a check on my thru hull scuppers. They seem heavy duty and in good shape. I figure with your mechanical finesse that those pesky deck drains don't stand a chance. They will lay back down correctly! I think that leaving the hose clamps loose on the scupper end until you get the drains down flush might help? You might have noticed there was another little I/O thread a few days ago that could probably use your valued input! 8)

'84Offshore

Reaction score
Hi Ken.......

I installed the port side hose and r-installed the deck drain.
Finished product was fine........next week I will do the starboard side.

Think I did see the other I/O thread......will look at it again though!!

bdevlin5983

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
'84Offshore said:
Hi Ken.......

I installed the port side hose and r-installed the deck drain.
Finished product was fine........next week I will do the starboard side.

Think I did see the other I/O thread......will look at it again though!!

Where did you get the new hoses, if you8 don't mind my asking....?

Bren

'84Offshore

Reaction score
West Marine

I bought the hose at West Marine.....I bought the white hose.....it's more flexible than what was in there.

RUMBLEFISH

Reaction score
I think you should really use the black wired exhaust house for your scuppers just like they came from the factory. Yea I know they are a real bear to work with you may want to look into this. Then again I may be wrong but thought I read something about this in the past.

bdevlin5983

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Does anyone happen to know what size exhaust tubing it is? Not that I am lazy, but the boat is 2 hours away under shrinkwrap... Hoping to get all of these parts together before the unwrapping / "summerizing" weekend at the end of March.

Bren

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
For those that are a real bear to reach, there is a silicone version that will last longer. If you're changing the hose and you have plastic scuppers, do them too.

bdevlin5983

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
'84Offshore said:
The hose I bought was 1 1/5".

1 1/5"? Did you mean 1 1/2" by chance...? I do have the plastic scupper fittings, but they seem to be in GREAT shape, and I replaced the external fittings on the outside of the hull last season... Where could I get replacement brass or stainless ones? Anyone know what size the cockpit end and the transom ends are? THANKS!

Bren

**edit** anyone that HAS replaced these and has part numbers, links, or suppliers of same, that would be AWESOME and much appreciated. Sorry, I am still kindof new to the older boat maintenance scene.

markb8608

Reaction score
low Heat gun

Hi
I often use a heat gun at low heat setting to loosen up hoses on my F-150 truck. I also used heat to take off the old hoses on my fesh water tank.
mark

Pete1313

Reaction score
Bdevlin -

Call Danny at Grady customer service- he can e-mail you their specs for your boat, including the placement of thru-hulls and the grady PN and corresponding attwood or perko or whatever part number.

Grady customer service is absolutely fabulous....even to owners of old boats...

He just did this for me on my '97 voyager

However, you should note that just because it is what was speced out, does not mean that is what is on your boat.....

As for plastic scuppers and thru-hulls, I think it really depends on where you are as to whether you want to spend the extra money on stainless or bronze. Perko and Attwood make stainless and/or bronze that will work just fine....but the price is around $30 per thru-hull vs. $6.00 per thru hull.

Here in the PAC NW, we have boats with plastic thru hulls where the thru hulls last longer than the motors....but that is because we really do not have a UV issue up here :). To the contrary, southern cali or southeast boats get a ton of UV damage and plastic thru-hulls deteriorate pretty quickly.

No question, stainless are better....