Need Info on 265 Express

YellowDog

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

New member here. I joined because I have "discovered" the GW 265 Express and I think it could be a good fit for me and the Mrs.

I have search the forums here and elsewhere online and it seems this model is really well-liked because of the layout, the ride and the all-around fishy-ness of the boat, but enough comforts for the family too. Compared to the boats I have owned before, the Mrs. will feel she is in a condo!

Questions I have are these...

Should I buy one with 4 strokes or are the HPDI's a good fit for this boat?

What type of cruise can I expect with either engine?

What about fuel burn?

Can the older models handle the weight of the 4 strokes if they were repowered somewhere along the line?

That's about all for now, I am really impressed so far, I'd love to hear from owners of the 265 for their first hand experiences.

Many Thanks!
:D

232 GULF

Reaction score
IMO one of the best layouts Grady ever put together. Never been on one out on the water fishing though so can't really comment on overnighting, etc. I know it can handle the weight of 4 strokes -- I've been following a 2000 for sale that was repowered in '09 w/twin 225s. This boat is on my short list of possible upgrades. Too bad the newest you can get is '05. Good luck.

JeffN

Reaction score
If you find a nice one priced right grab it. There are couple tied up where I am and have always liked the look and features. They seem to be achieving cult like status, probably for good reason.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
What you like about a boat is obviously a very personal choice, so if you can see lots to like then they are a great .

My 2000 model had 200hpdi's initally and they were brilliant much more get up and go than the 4S and better economy. However we blew one up (injector prob) and repowered 80 hours ago with 4S.

I have been impressed with the quiteness and smoothness of the 4's especially trolling. As I have had several 4's before I really prefer them. I would definitely consider 200hpdi's ; performance wise they are a perfect match for the hull.

As we trailer the weight hasn't been a problem at all but if I was permanently mooring the boat the scuppers would need to be raised.

I am currently running 4 blade props and the best I have seen is 1.8 mpg. whereas with the 2S and 3 blades the best I got was 2mpg.

There is lots of info on this forum re all of these questions just do various searchs and you'll get all the answers........

HMBJack

Reaction score
I upgraded from a very nice 2005 228G which I bought new to a sweet 2003 265 with twin F225's (freshwater boat). Best decision I ever made.
Type "265" in search and read, read and read. All the details are there. If you don't like to fish, it's a not a good choice but if you're passionate about fishing, you'll LOVE it!

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
I have a 2000 w/ HPDI's -
Great boat - great power -
Cruise at 1.5 mpg fully loaded w/ five guys-

Cruise at 1.7 to 1.8 light on fuel (60 to 80 gallons) and with just one or two people on board-

Usually cruise between 28 and 31 mph-

Cabin is great - spent 5 nights on here multiple times with me and my wife and young son -

I added a fourth battery to keep the fridge fully charged for long weekends!

You wont be disapointed!

Tim

tilewave

Reaction score
the worst of this boat ( at least my 2001 before they changed the hull) is that this boat handles a little weird before you get used to it, "but dont worry, we'll tell ya how to handle her !!" the boat is also very responsive to people moving around while under way. only other problem are the arm rest covers on the helm chair. i do alot of sleeping on mine, awesome for 1, good for 2, & weve squeezed jr in the middle a few times.
.....and they catch fish !!!!!

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
keep in mind that before 02 most boats came with 200hpdi and lower scuppers. Some of these boats have been repowered with heavier 4 strokes, and the stern may sit lower in the water(should not be a problem as per GW). It is now 2010 so it may be close to repower time for others of that vintage. In that case I believe the new line of yamaha 4 strokes are lighter then the first generation of 4 strokes. This may be a better option. Just something to think about. My boat is a 2002 with f225's, I have nothing but good things to say about the boat and engines. lots of info on this site.

YellowDog

Reaction score
Great Info guys

Thank you guys, I have read each of your replies and I apprecaite your thoughts. I took the advice given and read most everything on the 265 I could find on this site.

I went and looked at a 2000 265 yesterday that has Saltwater Series 225's on her now listed at $39,900. I discussed repower options with the manager of the marina, a real good man and straight shooter who I have known for awhile now.

He said the SWS 225 is a great engine, very reliable. And he can always find a home for them if I want to upgrade. He said the 200 hp HPDI ($11K ballpark) is also an excellent engine, reliable and a good weight to power ratio. The first generation F225's ($12K ballpark) are quieter than those two engines, and cleaner. They are more efficient, but the fuel savings is not going to leaps and bounds better.

The new 4.3L four strokes are going to be very expensive, in the $20 ballpark...

So, a repower, I figure is going to cost the better part of $30K, $12 K per engine, plus controls, $3K, props, taxes and rigging.

So, let's say the boat costs me $37,000. Engine repower is $30K which means I am into it for $67K. And that's before I look at the 2000-era electronics. But, I have new power, full warranties, and hopefully none of the corrosion worries of the older F225's.

But, there are a number of 2001-2003 era 265's with hpdi's or F225's for sale in the lower 60's or mid 50's even that seem to be doing just fine...

What do you think?

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I don't understand your urgency to repower until you have to. If you want specific motors, continue shopping until you find what you want. As you pointed out, you can get later model year boats with those motors for less money. If you do repower this one, know you won't be able to get your money out of it. That 30k will buy a lot of cool electronics and a lot of gas. JMO.

Gary 89 Overnighter

georgemjr

Reaction score
I agree, run the OX66's. They are a great, reliable engine. They are slightly out of fashion now that the 4 strokes are the latest craze, but the older 2 strokes work excellent. Have them checked and if they check out well, use them without hesitation. You can always re-power in the future, when necessary. The 2 strokes are noisier and smoke more, but are just as reliable and powerful.

Desperado

Reaction score
I agree with gwwannabe. I would stick with the OX66 motors. For the money you save up front, you can buy a lot of gear and fuel for fishing.

HMBJack

Reaction score
That 2000 265 with new F225's (45 hours) seemed to be priced right. Was available for a couple months as I recall. But I see it has a sale pending on it now. These boats, due to their following, tend to draw a price in that $60's range depending on options, condition, engine type & hours, trailer, location, etc. Good luck with your search.

YellowDog

Reaction score
Yup, all great info guys. Doesn't make sense to repower I guess. Think if I want an hpdi or 4S engine, I'll look for one.

What about how the 265 rides? I have most of my time on downeast style boats and a deep V 23' SeaCraft center console. I have zero experience on an express-type boat, or a walk around. I'll certainly sea trial anything I really like, but until then, is this a good ride in the snot?

tilewave

Reaction score
this boat runs great " in the snot ". one of its alluring characteristics[/quote]

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
When evaluating a repower keep in mind you could purchase a lightly used same model-
I have 500 hours on my HPDI's, and it ones fails I will probally purchased another used HPDI to replace it with-
Then you are only looking a 4-6k per problem-

39k is a great deal for one of these - as mentioned they have been running upper 40's to low 60's (for an older one) thru the boat depression!

Tim

YellowDog

Reaction score
Enough Already said:
Not sure where you are located but I bet several of us would be willing to take you out for a ride on our 265s.

I'm in Massachusetts, what a SUPER reason to visit Boca Raton in the winter!!! :D

YellowDog

Reaction score
fishingFINattic said:
When evaluating a repower keep in mind you could purchase a lightly used same model-
I have 500 hours on my HPDI's, and it ones fails I will probally purchased another used HPDI to replace it with-
Then you are only looking a 4-6k per problem-

39k is a great deal for one of these - as mentioned they have been running upper 40's to low 60's (for an older one) thru the boat depression!

Tim

Tim-

Remember I am absolutley clueless about this boat, is 400 hp enough for you boat? I have continued to read how the hpdi's are bulletproof, you must be very happy if you would repower with a used hpdi.