Fuel fill line on Offshore 24

Bigfishin82

Reaction score
I am having major trouble replacing the fuel line on my new 87 Grady white offshore 24. Any ideas or thoughts? I am trying to replace the fill hose closest to the cabin.

3rd Day

Reaction score
I had the pleasure of helping replace fuel lines on a 1980 24 Offshore. After contacting Grady, they advised removing a small section of the bulkhead that the fuel line passes thru. This helps by providing more room to work and then replace the section. It worked. Hope this helps.

Pez Vela

Reaction score
This has been a frequent topic and a search may prove helpful.

This is from my post in a previous thread: "In my experience, having replaced the tanks and the fuel lines on my '87 Sailfish, you will have to create an access port directly below the fill cap(s) and, once the tank(s) is/are removed, another hole in the longitudinal bulkhead alongside the tank(s) on the starboard side to extricate the fuel lines (with great difficulty, I might add). This was a nightmare project and I used a professional to do it for me."

Fuel lines are typically replaced at the same time that the fuel tanks are replaced

seabob4

Reaction score
Bigfishin82 said:
I am having major trouble replacing the fuel line on my new 87 Grady white offshore 24. Any ideas or thoughts? I am trying to replace the fill hose closest to the cabin.

Try this. Remove the fill hose at the deck fitting and the tank. With the help of a buddy (have a 6-pack handy), see if you can slide the hose back and forth. If so, drill a hole in the old hose 180 degrees opposite each other in the very end of the hose. Do the same with the new hose. Run a length of coat hanger thru each hole in each hose, then pull the new hose in while you pull the old hose out.

Tall, skinny people work well for this. Don't get your 250 lb. BIL to help you... :lol:

JUMPNJACK

Reaction score
Seviceability!

Ease of maintenance strikes again. One of the two previous owners of my old Saifish or who ever they hired to do this job, installed a couple of six inch deckplates for strategic access to the fuel fill hose! 8)

seabob4

Reaction score
Re: Seviceability!

JUMPNJACK said:
Ease of maintenance strikes again. One of the two previous owners of my old Saifish or who ever they hired to do this job, installed a couple of six inch deckplates for strategic access to the fuel fill hose! 8)

Now, not to sound stupid, as I've been building boats at the OEM level for 16 years now, but are there...not...access...pies...at the fill and the tank? Removable w/o tools? If not, how is one to do their annual fuel system inspection?

Pez Vela

Reaction score

seabob4 said:
...are there...not...access...pies...at the fill and the tank? Removable w/o tools? If not, how is one to do their annual fuel system inspection?

There's a deck plate immediately above the tank fill, but no access whatsoever to the fill cap(s) on the gunwhale. Inspection with a telescoping mirror is possible, for whatever that might be worth. Adding a deck plate at the gunwhale solves that problem ... but more fun awaits!

seabob4

Reaction score

Pez Vela said:
seabob4 said:
...are there...not...access...pies...at the fill and the tank? Removable w/o tools? If not, how is one to do their annual fuel system inspection?

There's a deck plate immediately above the tank fill, but no access whatsoever to the fill cap(s) on the gunwhale. Inspection with a telescoping mirror is possible, for whatever that might be worth. Adding a deck plate at the gunwhale solves that problem ... but more fun awaits!

Pez,
Hey, I know you from THT, iBoats, you give good advice. That being said, what was someone thinking at GW as far as the deck fill and vent? You NEED to have access to those, it is a matter of boat safety!!! When I was at Wellcraft in the 90s, they wanted to switch over from twist out pies to screw downs, save some money. I said fine, but not over the fuel accesses. They said yes, over the fuel accesses. I said fine, you install them, I'm not...they changed their minds.

I think every GW owner should install 8" twist out pies at their fuel fill locations, not just for annual inspection, but for peace of mind that should something go wrong with the fill hose or vent, they can access them easily and deal with the situation.

JMHO...

Bob C

Pez Vela

Reaction score
Like this?

DSC01873.jpg

Bigfishin82

Reaction score
the problem is that the hose is so old it wont even flex. It is rock solid . I got the hose out of the furthest one toward the back of the boat but how about the front one near the steering? I am stumped on how to get it out. Any more ideas? I need to get this done. :lol: