Spreader lights quit...

amr72

Reaction score
Both worked at the end of last season, now they don't turn on. My switch is on the dome light under the hardtop which also has the switch for my courtesy lights--they work but the spreaders don't. Since both spreaders don't work I am thinking the switch is bad. Can I buy something at West marine as a replacement assuming it is a bad switch? Or do you guys have any other ideas?

freddy063

Reaction score
see if the ground is dirty, or a wire got broke, check the switch with a votlmeter. and if good use the voltmeter to run the lines.

HMBJack

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to me. It was the switch on the dome light. West Marine didn't stock it so I picked one up at my GW Dealer. Definitely the switch since BOTH lights went out. On my 265, it was truly a pain in the neck to remove the dome light to replace that little switch. Good luck.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I had the issue on a Gulfstream and Sailfish. It was the switch both times - same as above post it is readily available at a GW dealer

white diamond

Reaction score
My switch is giving me trouble but I can't get either of the two scews to budge. Any ideas to get them out without breaking the fixture.

ibuyre111

Reaction score
spreader lights

I had the same trouble with the dome switch but kept pushing it and if finall started working.
Just needed to be worked

HMBJack

Reaction score
Yes - getting that Dome Light out is a bear! Problem is reaching the nut up in the overhead cabinet. I was able to get to one somewhat easily but the other was superhard. Think vice grips and allow for extra time...

georgemjr

Reaction score
Mine wasn't through bolted. Pry out the lens (gingerly) 2 screws keep the fixture mounted to the bottom of the hardtop. Mine are just stainless screws, apparantely others are through bolted (seems like overkill) Once you drop the fixture, you can unscrew the switch and replace. I have seen others (G-man) find luck in using the switch a few times and having it start and continue working. I think that the contacts get a little messed up from lack of use. Turning it on and off a lot seems to clean up the contacts and gets it working again.

freddy063

Reaction score
ok where are the Spreader lights??? My Spreader lights are out tops side of my hardtop pointing to the back deck, the wire runs in the tubes of the hardtop. I'm I looking at something wrong here??? Swicth is on the console.

georgemjr

Reaction score
Same lights we are talking about, different switch. Grady white went to a dome light that had the switch for the spreaders integrated into it.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Before spending money, check the fuse, it's in the hardtop box.

Pilotnut

Reaction score
Had the same problem. switch went bad. going to look for a better/heavier-duty switch that will fit in the factory hole in the dome light. Also looking to upgrade to LED spreaders to reduce draw.

Anyone have a recommendation for good quality LED spreaders that wont break the bank? Looking to spend under $200 for the set.

Thanks,
Marc

eppem

Reaction score
Most likely the switch, we found the replacement part online. Get a second set of hands and EZ to fix.

Absolutely Nothing

Reaction score
If you have not fixed the spreader lights yet, here is where I purchased the switch:
You can find the switch at CooLight.com the following part fit my 2004 30' marlin spreader/courtesy light switches perfectly.

Items Ordered: Price: Status:
• 1 of : Judco 188-1 Pushbutton Switch on/off $3.90 Shipped

I think it was through Amazon, but now sure of that. Just save the rubber covers as they new switch does not have the cover. The order was shipped quickly.

It was difficult to get at the through bolted mounts. The lens was difficult too. If I can figure how to load a picture I will. I took one so that the next time around I would know how to get it apart. I replaced the courtesy bulbs with LEDs one white and one red as you can see from the picture. Good luck.

Attachments

• IMG_0791.JPG
    IMG_0791.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_0792.JPG
    IMG_0792.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 207

Jzeno186

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
If you have not fixed the spreader lights yet, here is where I purchased the switch:
You can find the switch at CooLight.com the following part fit my 2004 30' marlin spreader/courtesy light switches perfectly.

Items Ordered: Price: Status:
• 1 of : Judco 188-1 Pushbutton Switch on/off $3.90 Shipped

I think it was through Amazon, but now sure of that. Just save the rubber covers as they new switch does not have the cover. The order was shipped quickly.

It was difficult to get at the through bolted mounts. The lens was difficult too. If I can figure how to load a picture I will. I took one so that the next time around I would know how to get it apart. I replaced the courtesy bulbs with LEDs one white and one red as you can see from the picture. Good luck.
I know this is an old thready but I came across this post. My spreader light switch went bad and I am attempting to replace. I had a few minutes to mess with it today. I got both those small screws off and the light is still fastened to the bottom of the hardtop somehow... is there a trick to getting this thing off?

Fishtales

Reaction score
They changed the style of the dome light recently. Go easy and pop the cover.

Jzeno186

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
They changed the style of the dome light recently. Go easy and pop the cover.
I got the cover off and the 2 nuts.. what else do I need to do to replace the switch? I attempted to take the light apart and off of the hardtop but after removing both nuts the fixture is still solid as a rock

ric2352

Reaction score
The lites are fused at the block in the overhead box...did you check it with test lite ? I had same problem. Had a dead short in the power lead to the lites that run thru the hard top tubing. Impossible to access, so ran a new hot lead outside the hardtop tubing. Came out great