Thinking about a upgrade to a Grady..Thoughts, Opinions??

REEL NAUTI

Reaction score
Ever since the Boat show I've been wondering if I should sell my Parker 23 DVCC and upgrade. I just had a Baby boy in November and would hate to take him out on a CC with all the wind and possible sea spray. At the boat show in L.I. I stepped on the Gulfstream and fell in love. My Dads first boat was a 24 Offshore and I grew up on the boat. I was thinking of a older Sailfish because with a family of four it'll make the overnights at Fire Island a little more easier. I'd hate to part with my Parker, but for the right price I think I just might...trying to figure out that magic number. 1990 23 DVCC with a 2006 225 ETEC installed in 2008. Original teak trim, lenco trim tabs (2008) cd radio with 4 speakers. teak swim platform, garmin 3205 GPS/Fishfinder Si-tex Fishfinder, about 200hrs or less on the motor. I was thinking about $20k Boat Motor Trailer.

Am I way off?? Too high?? Too low?? Anybody Interested?? Let me know Thanks!

Not sure how post a Pic on here yet...If anyone is Interested in seeing it I'd be more than happy to e-mail you some

Average Joe

Reaction score
Re: Thinking about a upgrade to a Grady..Thoughts, Opinions?

If you can afford a Gulfstream, pull the trigger, I think you'd love it. Someone else can chime in with a little more thoughful response but I know if I could afford one I would.

chesapeake

Reaction score

Your Parker would sell better on the Parker web site. I think it is Classic Parker. I have had many boats and I think you would be very pleased with a Gulfstream.

cgmiller

Reaction score

Oh come on..I grew up in a 17 Mako and my dad slammed me around the bay in that boat from the time I was 7 years old..nothing like salt spray in the face to make you a fisherman...if it were me, I would rather have a boat with protection from the sun, wind and spray for my son, so I agree with you..there were many days that I was very happy to get off the open boat.....it is still my favorite boat although...I have a Gulfstream now and I moved from a 21 Mako to the Gulfstream..much more comfortable.....

RAINMAKER

Reaction score

Welcome aboard ! .... and glad you've seen the light ... Ugh I mean Grady-White. A Sailfish will be much more comfy for overnighters than a Gulfstream due in part to the head setup (for mama) . I Love the gulfstream for fishing , but for overnighting the sailfish wins handsdown!
Pedigree....
First Boat 22 Seafaer (GREAT first boat)
Second boat 24 Offshore (Fish killing MACHINE) 10 yrs.
Third boat 282 Sailfish ( creature comforts) and fish killing MACHINE......
Also fished a Gulfstream for several years with a friend .Great boat but I really don't think it fits the overnighter bill for a family of four as theres only two bunks and no enclosed head.
Just an opinion hope it helps.............. :D

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin

My Gulfstream fits my lifestyle in every way.

I agree with Rainmaker about the overnite aspects. My Lady and I are comfortable staying for weeks on my Gulfstream, but it's just the two of us. Any more and it wouldn't work.

Otherwise, it's a fabulous boat.

downtown

Reaction score

Gulfstream is nice. Too small to stay on. But to fish on and take the family for a short trip - great.

If you want to trailer and also have some amenities, think of an Islander with shore power and twin 150s. If you want comfort go for a Sailfish.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score

The Gulfy is a nice boat for sure. If you are in a position to choose berween the Gulf and 282 then sea trial both and then decide. I wish Grady would bring back the Islander. Since they ditched the 265 and the Islander there are not 26-27 foot cabin boats in their line up. Their market in dual and center console boats reigns in this size range.

ttles714

Reaction score

I was kind of looking in the same direction as you are... While the sailfish is nice, the marlin, in my opinion, offers a whole lot more. I think you will be happy with it for years to come as your family grows. I started with a 204 in 1979, kept it until "86 when I bought a 240, kept that until 2010 when I bought a Marlin, while I was shopping for a Sailfish. The first 2 Grady's were new boats, the Marlin is a 2001 That was in very nice shape that I bought at a very good price.. the used boat market is very buyer friendly... I LOVE THE MARLIN !!!!! It is great in a very nasty Barnegat Inlet, onshore, and offshore, and in a cove overnight. It covers all the bases. My Friend has the sailfish, I am glad I went for the marlin.

ayacht

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

I got a Sailfish this summer specifically for the kids. Just makes me feel better about having the cabin for them. There is plenty of space for them. Got a used one for a pretty decent price. I would say if you can swing a Sailfish do it.