Where to get replacement bow pulpit?

fishman

Reaction score
Does anyone know where to get a replacement bow pulpit. I need one for my 1991 Gulfstream. Grady told me to try a dealer which I did. The dealer contacted Grady who told them they're not available anymore.

NautiBuoys

Reaction score
Once in a while they show up on eBay. If yours is not too bad of shape, they can be repaired with Bondo. Fiberglass guys around here absolutely HATE them (extremely hard to repair).

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I repaired mine with epoxy resin. Looks good so far. Keep the bottom edges sealed with gelcoat and the joint to the deck with caulk. Make sure the hardware is sealed as well. Unless it is broken into two pieces, it can be repaired. I believe it has a wood core and a lot of filler around the edges. They are a PIA to maintain.

fishman

Reaction score
Just got estimate to repair existing from local fiberglass guy....$1300....ouch

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Ouch for sure! What type of damage? Got pics?

bfrank

Reaction score
fishman said:
Just got estimate to repair existing from local fiberglass guy....$1300....ouch

WHOA! Fibreglass is nasty to work with but doable.

ROBERTH said:
Ouch for sure! What type of damage? Got pics?

x2

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
$1300? I'm in the wrong business! I rebuilt mine 5 years ago, first time working with fiberglass and the pulpit was in shambles. From the pics you're going to have to do some grinding and filling, dirty and time consuming but not that hard. If the core is shot, you'll have to cut the bottom out and re-core it. GW cored the pulpit with 2X, you can go the same or laminate plywood to make up the core. If you feel up to it, read up on working with fiberglass and give it a shot.

bfrank

Reaction score
Does it seem structurally sound? I wonder if you could just use Marine-Tex almost like spackle and fill in the missing chunks. Then go over it with some gel-coat.

fishman said:
DSC02729.jpg

DSC02726.jpg

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I see cracks in the side so water probably got in the core so I'd say no. The stock pulpit doesn't have much strength in itself (the sides are mostly filler), the wood core has all the strength.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Mine has some damage also, maybe not that much of a chunk out, but it is on the back side near the deck. I will likely be pulling the pulpit off this fall/winter as next project, glass fill to level and re-gelcoat. Should not be that hard to do it.
One thing I am not sure of is what kind of filler that is. It looks kinda like a bondo. Are ya'll saying there is wood in the core? Guess that is where the strength is, so assuming the filler is very flexible, I am somewhat worried on what type of filler to use so it does not pop loose.

I would guess polyester resin has a higher bonding strength over the marine bondo filler material, and if I do layers of mat, it seems it would be the strongest repair. Anyone out there know or have ideas how to approach this type of repair?

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The core is wood, I replaced it with laminated plywood. Just filling the deep chunks with fille is asking for trouble, build it up with layers of mat.

Fishtales

Reaction score
1300 seems like a lot, but if you were to get the replacement fro GW I'd say you'd be looking 2-3X that price. If that includes everything and it is rebuilt the right way, it probably isn't all that bad. As the tag line states.....

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks Grog. I will use polyester resin and cloth to build it up. I can't believe how thick the filler is though since I don't see any wood exposed. I am guessing a chunk about an inch deep on mine on the corner, so maybe that is thicker there than in the flat areas.

fishman

Reaction score
Don't know. Bought the boat that way. I might try a few other fiberglass guys in the area for estimates. It's not available from GW anymore but the dealer I spoke with said if it was it would of been $1300-$1500.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
fishman said:
Don't know. Bought the boat that way. I might try a few other fiberglass guys in the area for estimates. It's not available from GW anymore but the dealer I spoke with said if it was it would of been $1300-$1500.

Where are you located?

fishman

Reaction score
I'm in Bayport,LI. I tried Port of Egypt who gave me the info.