Gulfstream Planing

Reaction score
For those of you with Gulfstreams. Will a 2006 Gulfstream 23 with twin Yamaha 150's plane on one engine?

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
While I can't answer your question directly, I can say that any boat with twin engines that are properly propped will be highly unlikely to plane on one engine. And if you do manage to get the boat up on plane, you are probably overloading that engine significantly.

You would need to have a set of lower pitch props so you could change the prop on the operable engine in order to plane the boat.

Having said that, you will likely hear from folks with twins that total max HP for the boat who will state that they can plane on one engine.

JMHO,
Brian

RJTFD

Reaction score
I had a 2000 with twin 150 hpdi's and I broke a fuel line in one motor I tried to get up on plane with other one and it wasnt happening. Tried trimming every which way and no good. It was a long ride home and it was only ten miles to go.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I'm with ocnsir;

I have a 2007 with twin 200's and I wouldn't even try to plane it off with one engine. I would not risk overloading or damaging it in the process. I'd just go slow and get back.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I drove a 2008-09 Gulfstream with twin F150's a while back. There's no way 1 motor will get her to plane.

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It is interesting that the consensus on this thread is that the Gulfstream will not plane on one engine while Sailfish owners on the following thread report that they can plane on one engine:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12393&start=0&hilit=sailfish+plane

I wonder if is is the extra running surface that makes the difference for the Sailfish. Further, for the Sailfish that can plane on one - I wonder of those are 1998 or newer models with the extra 2 feet or running surface at the stern or the 1994-1997 models with the transom that is a bit more like a bracket.

I'll try it with my new-to-me 1994 Sailfish with twin 200HO Etecs in spring and report back.

-Scott

grady23

Reaction score
My '97 won't "climb over the top" on one engine when I have a full crew and rigged for a day of fishing. It might -- just might , with only one person and all the junk out of it. Yeah -- like that is going to happen.