First outing in the 190 Tournament

Jeff_R

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Well this past weekend things finally started looking like spring was here in Michigan to stay. With the forecast calling temps in the mids 60's and clear sunny skies, I pulled the new-to-me 190 tournament out for it's first outing. This was actually the first time I had ever had this boat in the water and the first time I ever been on a Grady White...period. When I bought the boat it was January and everything was frozen so now sea-trail. I had the boat inspected in Arkansas and bought it off the inspection.

I have to say I am super happy with the boat. I have had nothing but Center Console Whalers my for the last 20 years and with 2 kids young kids now spending lots of time on the boat, I needed something to fit that use better. The Dual Console layout of the Tournament was a home run. The layout is perfect for the kids to run around in and always be protected. The deck is very spacious and after being parked next to a 192 Tournament in Storage this winter, I think the 190 might actually have a little more square footage of open space than the 192 with it's euro transom.

While I know the hull is rated for a 200hp motor I found the 1999 Yamaha Saltwater Series II 150 to have plenty of power for the hull. The boat planed off now problem and ran at a top end of 47.1mph turning a Yamaha Stainless Steel 3 blade 19"p prop. When I bought the boat, I had the Yamaha mechanic who did the pre-purchase motor inspection raise the motor up and mount it two holes up which put the A/V plate 1/2" above the bottom of the keel. The previous owner had the motor mounted all the way on the bottom set of holes and only saw about 41mph at best. So, raising the motor really help to increase efficiency and top end.

Here is a video of the the final run. The motor turned 5400 rpm @ 47.1mph at full trim with 45 gallons of fuel, 425 pounds of crew and a 4hp kicker.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwebg-TTPMc

Here are some photos after cleaning it up:
2013-04-27_15-22-10_978_zps058933a9.jpg

2013-04-27_15-22-35_217_zps8ac1dbf1.jpg

2013-04-27_16-08-19_181_zpsf1bf4293.jpg

After installing a new Lowrance Elite 5 DSI Plotter and Sounder along with a new Lowrance Link 5 VHF,I still have a couple projects to do before summer gets here....I need to remove all the old decals and stripes and polish the hull and I also just striped all of the teak off the boat and am refinishing it all too. I am really looking forward to summer on this boat even more now.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Cool! Boat looks great and really flies from the vid. Where was it shot? From the pic I thought for a minute it was in Arcadia, but thinking again, I realized you can't run that fast for that long in there, especially with the low water levels.

I have long time roots on Portage Lake, 21 miles South. We vacation up there in July, and when the lakes calm, I'll run my Gulfstream up to Frankfort Municipal for lunch. I hike up the hill to that joint that looks over the harbor with the stage in the corner inside.

Anyway, the boat is a winner. Have a great summer!

Jeff_R

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
magicalbill, the run was on Lake Orion in Lake Orion, Mi...

The Grady will make it up to Frankfort this summer for boating on Lake Michigan and Crystal Lake. It will also spend time in Grand Haven, Muskegon and Whitehall too. The 23' Walkaround Boston Whaler (link in signature) lives up in Frankfort and is always up there.

Action_Jackson

Reaction score
Jeff,
Boat looks great! 47mph is excellent as well out of that 150. Enjoy!
Jay