Added an inverter to my Sailfish

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hi - I just installed an 1500 Watt inverter in my 1994 Sailfish and tested it with the microwave - it works fine. The post is at the bottom of this thread on the E-TEC site (link below) and some additional photos are below. To use it, I run a cord over to the shore power plug. It's wired to the output of the Aux battery switch with a large fuse and has its own power switch. I should probably build some kind of cover for it when it's not in use.

-Scott

http://www.etecownersgroup.com/post/Two ... 1278646413

Attachments

• inverter_board.jpg
    inverter_board.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 4,440
  • inverter3.jpg
    inverter3.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 4,438
  • inverter_zoom.jpg
    inverter_zoom.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 4,440

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I installed a Prowatt 1000 inverter years ago. It's up inside the transom, so no exposure and no need for a cover. Output connects to shorepower inlet box. Works great to run the microwave for something hot to eat or drink when out fishing in cold weather.

And yes, we also use a Honda EU2000 when the needs are greater than the inverter and batteries can support, e.g. running the air conditioning.

Brian

DogBone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
ocnslr, is the area in your transom where you installed your Prowatt 1000 exposed to bilge moisture? I was considering installing a Prowatt on my Gulfstream near the house battery, but have been concerned about humidity from the bilge (my battery area in the transom is exposed to the bilge) shortening its life. Any advice from your experience would be appreciated.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
DogBone said:
ocnslr, is the area in your transom where you installed your Prowatt 1000 exposed to bilge moisture? I was considering installing a Prowatt on my Gulfstream near the house battery, but have been concerned about humidity from the bilge (my battery area in the transom is exposed to the bilge) shortening its life. Any advice from your experience would be appreciated.

Yes, there is some moisture back there, but I inspect the unit semi-annually and have yet to find any signs of deterioration from the environment. I have it mounted as high as it would go under the seat back. I may be able to find a photo, or I'll walk the two blocks to the boat and take a photo.

Brian

freddy063

Reaction score
I wish I did my inventor that way, the way I did it was install a automatic switch so when on shore power it runs all the outlets and with the inventor on it is transparent , and all outlets work the same. It was a pain to wire and way more money for what we use it. Mostly everything is DC power now, TV, DVD. So do you just use 12-2 cord to the microwave?

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
freddy063 said:
I wish I did my inventor that way, the way I did it was install a automatic switch so when on shore power it runs all the outlets and with the inventor on it is transparent , and all outlets work the same. It was a pain to wire and way more money for what we use it. Mostly everything is DC power now, TV, DVD. So do you just use 12-2 cord to the microwave?

The inverter output connects to the shore power inlet box. Just make sure any AC breakers are open for loads you don't want to power (e.g. water heater).

The inverter powers through the normal AC distribution, so the microwave gets its power the same way, through the same power cord, whether the boat is powered with the inverter, a Honda EU2000, or regular shore power.

Brian

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
At the minimum install a drip cover on top of the inverter leave room under it, the insides via the vents are not friendly to anything dripping including condensation as it is a vented type of equipment. My transom service area condensation level is too much for such equipment.

Does the manufacturer's instructions allow mounting vertical as you have? Check to verify.

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Does the manufacturer's instructions allow mounting vertical as you have? Check to verify.

Very little documentation came with this import unit. I searched the net and found this statement for a similar unit:

The inverter can be mounted horizontally or vertically.
If mounted vertically, neither end of the unit should be at
the top (to avoid foreign material from falling or settling
into the unit).

So I guess I violated that requirement. I stapled in a little sunbrella cover over the top with monel staples as shown below. The cord holds the cover out of the way when in use.

Attachments

• Boston-20130810-01173.jpg
    Boston-20130810-01173.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 4,204
  • Boston-20130810-01170.jpg
    Boston-20130810-01170.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 4,201

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Just a comment on inverter use now that my boating season is over. I put this in thinking I would mainly be using it for coffee but it turned out that microwave popcorn was the big hit. I bought a box of single-serving bags and could make a hot fresh bag of popcorn at any time. It stays fine on the boat without refrigeration, doesn't take up any room and is a great snack.