From Plumbed PortaPotty to a Marine Head

mdscole

Reaction score
The 1998 Voyager 248 had three options for a head:
1. Portable portapotty
2. Portapotty with deck pumpout
3. Marine Head with tank, macerator, etc.

#2 is what I have and it's my least favorite. It is apparently the least favorite of every other previous owner - because nobody has ever used it. There's still some parts in a sealed plastic bag in the bowl.

Is it a major challenge to install a marine head? can it be done after manufacture? Anyone done this?

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
This is not an exact answer, as I have never had a boat with your configuration.

However, I believe that the portapotty has a small holding tank under it and the 'plumbing' is from there to a deck pumpout. If that is the case, then the switch to a marine toilet would likely require the following:
1. remove portapotty
2. install marine toilet
3. provide source and piping of flushing water to the marine toilet, i.e. thruhull, seacock, piping, etc
4. install a suitable holding tank.
5. Pipe discharge of marine toilet to holding tank.
6. provide overboard vent fitting/tubing/connection to holding tank.
7. provide piping from holding tank to deck pumpout

If you want/need the ability to pump the holding tank overboard when offshore, then you would also need a suitable overboard connection and macerator (either in line or in the holding tank).

Perhaps someone else has a better overview of this conversion.

Brian

Nick1150

Reaction score
Hello there,

I am a new owner of a 2000 248 voyager and when I bought the boat I found out that there is:

1) A "head" switch in the starboard side panel in the cockpit which when pressed I can hear the macerator in the starboard side of the cabin
2) A Y-valve and a macerator pump in the starboard side below the bed
3) Given that the previous owner has removed the head, I found two hoses in the head space waiting for a new head install.
4) All above are fully operational and work 100%

After downloading the pdf manual of the voyager, and more specificaly at page 56 I can understand that my boat is a "Head Layout - portable w/macerator" version....

Excuse me for asking, but why is there a macerator in the boat since no holding tank is involved? It is my understanding that a macerator is needed when liquids should be drained from a holding tank to the open sea when offshore, correct?

Is there any idea how to connect a marine head to this system?

Thanks

Nick

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
"why is there a macerator in the boat since no holding tank is involved?"

The bottom half of a porta-potty IS a holding tank. The most common size is about 2.5 gallons, but 5 gallon versions are available. They are a little taller, so make sure you have the headroom for it.

Nick1150

Reaction score
Hello Dennis,

Thank you for your answer :)

So this means that I should install a “porta-potty” and not a marine head? Hmmmm :hmm

By the term “porta-potty” you mean the plastic heads that the caravans have and use a blue liquid to brake all contaminents?

To be honest in all my boats I used to have marine heads, so if this is the case, I will have to build a new head system with holding tank.... any experience from voyager owners?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Sometimes terms get confusing or misused, so just to make sure we are on the same page, here is a "porta-potty": https://www.amazon.com/THETFORD-PORTA-P ... B006WPQMGI

They are actually pretty decent - simple, effective, inexpensive and pretty much nothing ever goes wrong with them. You could certainly add a flushing/permanent toilet, even a VacuFlush, but there are quite a few costs associated with that, along with new plumbing/hoses to wherever you want to mount the holding tank. And, believe it or not, a 2.5 gallon porta-potty holding tank doesn't fill anywhere near as quickly as most would think.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have a plumbed porta potty on my 23 GS with macerator and it works very well. Perhaps the previous owner was just weird about that stuff. It's very simple an doesn't take up much space. Just hit the button when ur offshore and its empty.