Busted for riding on the bow

gradygraham

Reaction score
A few weeks ago we got pulled by the Washington DC river police for riding on the bow of our 228 Seafarer. We were in a no wake zone cruising at the slowest speed possible.

According to the officer, the seat cushions we have up front on top of the cuddy cabin do not count as true seats. So for the reason he stopped us and went through the entire inspection process. I asked him if this was a statewide law and he said yes. I've searched just a bit to see if I can find any laws about this but haven't found anything.

Has anyone else had experience with this? Or was he just trying to find a reason to make a stop and do an inspections with the hopes of finding something more serious.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
We've always had the same issue in Ohio. I think the rationale behind it is wrong, but we live in a world where laws have replaced good judgment to protect and preserve stupid. :bang

seasick

Reaction score
Yup, that's the law. Unless there are dedicated seats in the bow, passengers are not permitted on the forward deck when the boat is in motion.
Have you ever seen folks propelled into the air when a boat hits a wave or a wake> That can be fun but coming back down can be crippling.

jip40

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
We do the same thing all the time in calm waters. In Florida, I have passed FWC patrol boats and have not had any issues but I would be interested in knowing if it is illegal in Florida waters.

grady23

Reaction score
Seasick --- Not to bust your balls, but how do you know if the infraction that occurred in Washington D.C. is state law in Maryland?? You live in New York according to your profile. I plan to check with MD DNR for sure and I'll get back to ya.

seasick

Reaction score
grady23 said:
Seasick --- Not to bust your balls, but how do you know if the infraction that occurred in Washington D.C. is state law in Maryland?? You live in New York according to your profile. I plan to check with MD DNR for sure and I'll get back to ya.
Good point.....
This is from the Maryland State Boat Act.
See item 5.

Reckless and Negligent Operation
Law prohibits negligent or grossly negligent operation of a vessel that endangers lives and/
or property. The U.S. Coast Guard for this offense may impose a civil penalty under federal
laws. The operator may be subjected to a fine of up to $5,000 and/or imprisonment for up to
one year, or both. The Maryland penalty is a fine of up to $500 for the first offense.
Some examples of actions that may constitute negligent or grossly negligent operation
include but are not limited to:
1. Operating in a swimming area.
2. Operating under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
3. Excessive speed in the vicinity of other boats or in dangerous waters.
4. Hazardous water skiing practices or Personal Watercraft operations (i.e., Jet Ski’s, etc.).
5. Bow riding or riding on seatback, gunwale, or transom.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I have heard of this before and I let my kids sit up there while underway in calm waters or we toss a be a bag uo there and somebody often naps while trolling. I have been told by fellow boaters here in NC and Fla if the LEO sees kids in particular hanging their feet over or dangling their legs outside of the boat that they will cite for that in a hear beat.

mboyatt

Reaction score
I live in NC and have a 192 Tournament. Have 2 kids that ride up front all the time, but the Tournament seems to have safe seating in the bow. Never though of this before. Is this something I should not be doing unless going slow? I tend to let her rip with the kids up there in calm waters.

ultrarunner

Reaction score
Myboyatt, a bowrider is just that, with seats meant to be used when underway. What is happening here is folks without bowriders, such as the cuddy boats, are letting folks ride 'on top of the boat'. That's a big no-no. As it should be as it is not safe.

It's really simple...when underway, you're using a dedicated seat, or standing INSIDE the boat. Bad things can happen really quick, especially when operating a vehicle with no brakes....

Ultra

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
It is my opinion that the officer who stopped the gradygraham was either having a "Bad Day" or, as stated, looking for something else. He was traveling in a no wake zone at headway speed. Does everyone think that is really unsafe? I don't!!! I don't allow people up front while cruising and that, to me, is the intent of the law.

He never mentioned getting a ticket for the "violation".

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
journeyman said:
It is my opinion that the officer who stopped the gradygraham was either having a "Bad Day" or, as stated, looking for something else. He was traveling in a no wake zone at headway speed. Does everyone think that is really unsafe? I don't!!! I don't allow people up front while cruising and that, to me, is the intent of the

He never mentioned getting a ticket for the "violation".

Well if he didn't get a ticket then I guess you could call it "education" or a warning..and thats fine because now he knows the law. If on the other hand , he was issued a ticket , then I agree with you, as he was operating in a safe manner rather than being like some of the clowns I see every time out.

mboyatt

Reaction score
Thanks Ultrarunner. I figured the Tournament was designed for 2 passengers up there, but I just wanted to make sure it was safe. I have a 10 year old and 8 year old that have claimed the bow when we are out. They love sitting up there. They also have the bow rail to hold onto if they choose.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Didn't know this. Thanks for sharing. I let the kids up there when moving slow too. Looks like that will stop.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
wow- I have had 3 GW Walk Arounds over the last 30 years in Massachusetts and have never been stopped for crew sitting in seats at the bow. Somebody must have had a bad day

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
As a 31 year motor officer, a bad day was when I wasn't writing tickets. I never made a law, just enforced. If you think the law is unfair, get your legislator to change it.

gw204

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that's been MD law for at least 25 years. I remember my Dad getting stopped for letting us ride on the bow of his old 31' Silverton.

fshlbi

Reaction score
not to drag this out further, but i remember growing up on my dad's 86 seafarer and the front seats were definitely front seats. I also remember that a couple years later, i think around 88, they raised the cuddy cabin in the front and the cushions were still available to be placed on that area. I wonder if the older models with the lowered seats would qualify as 'dedicated seats' and what exactly that means. do they need to have backs? or rails?

it definitely is irritating, especially in a no wake zone, to be pulled over for this. there are many more pressing issues out on the water that they could be enforcing.

ultrarunner

Reaction score
Legend said:
wow- I have had 3 GW Walk Arounds over the last 30 years in Massachusetts and have never been stopped for crew sitting in seats at the bow. Somebody must have had a bad day

They were sitting on top of the bow on a cuddy boat...

That is a no-no....

G8RDave

Reaction score
ultrarunner said:
Legend said:

That is a no-no....

OP said they were in a 228. That is a walk around. There are seats/cushions on the bow and the bow rail is higher than the seats. In Florida the officer would have to make the determination that sitting up there is likely to result in harm to the passengers. There is no anti "bow riding" language in our statutes, although it does appear in the boater's handbook the state publishes.

seasick

Reaction score
G8RDave said:
ultrarunner said:
Legend said:

That is a no-no....

OP said they were in a 228. That is a walk around. There are seats/cushions on the bow and the bow rail is higher than the seats. In Florida the officer would have to make the determination that sitting up there is likely to result in harm to the passengers. There is no anti "bow riding" language in our statutes, although it does appear in the boater's handbook the state publishes.

Cushions on the cabin roof deck don't count as seats. The are intended for sunning when the vessel is at anchor. It doesn't matter how tall the rails are. It is permitted to sit in the front of a bow rider with seats even if the vessel has no rails.
I am not familiar with Florida regs but the Coast Guard regs are federal and apply everywhere. Enforcement can depend on who the enforcer is. What we often see is a big push to enforce rules right after some tragedy.
It amazes me how many boaters aren't familiar with the rules in general. I am not saying that you are one of those but there are a lot out there. Every outing I deal with boaters who don't mind their wake, don't follow of even have a clue about what vessels have to 'give way' and what considerations they should show for non powered, smaller, anchored vessels, etc. Jet skies!! Yikes. Nothing like cruising along when a jet ski approaches at full speed so that it can jump your wake. I cringe.
My best example of boater ignorance of the rules was once when I sounded my horn twice before overtaking a slower vessel on my starboard in a narrow channel. The captain of that vessel flicked me the finger for honking:)

I am lucky to be able to boat during the weekdays and try hard to avoid weekends and holidays. It's just too nerve racking.