208 Adventure Cabin Light

fullphase

Reaction score
Hey guys.....looking for some tips on changing the switch on the cabin light on my 1997 208 Adventure Hardtop. I pulled all the electronics out and see were the cables are coming from and I also see 1 screw. I tried to remove it but it just keeps spinning as if whatever it was screwed to has stripped. The problem seems to be in the switch itsef. The spreader lights work fine, but the switch/button seems to not be clicking properly. However, I can not seem to get the dome cover off to have a look.

thanks in advance for any tips.

steveditt

Reaction score
confused . remove the cabin light -turn switch on at the breaker panel -test voltage at light . First--- my cabin light the[ on and off switch] is in the head of the lamp which you need to turn to switch on and off .

fullphase

Reaction score
the problem is removing the cabin light to get at bulb and switch.

Slacktime

Reaction score
The light bezel pops off. It is a little scary doing it for the first time . Take a small screwdriver and gently push it against the frame until it pops off. I haven't broken one yet. If your hands are too big, get the admiral to do it!

LouisR

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Did you ever get this dome light off? I am having a similar problem with my 282 I believe. I can remove glass/plastic cover but can't remove the metal base that hides the switch and wiring. LouisR

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
LouisR, the type of light you have is different than the light referenced above by the OP. How do I know? Well my courtesy light mounted under the ebox of the hardtop matches in description as the OP. My switched failed twice and I replaced them twice. I went to replace a third time and called Grady. I got a short history of Grady done lights my style was discontinued in 2009. Yours was used a couple years after mine and now they use the kind where you wave your hand or touch the lens and it's LED. I just replaced mine with the new LED touch the lens style .

I would speculate that bezel either twists and drops out or it snaps out. If you can't figure it try posting specifically about the light and model year? The original thread is from 2015.

LouisR

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
SmokyMtnGrady thanks for your response. Given how tight it seems to be locked in with the screws removed, I guess it could be twisted into a backing or glued to the roof liner. I hope it is a twist fit. I will try twisting it.
LouisR

LouisR

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
For the record, I got the light off; it was 'heat bonded' onto the roof liner after the boats many years in the sun. I could not believe how much twisting force was required to pop it off. A small spot of damage to the roof liner behind the light fitting where it was most stuck. The power problem was actually corrosion in a connector, not the switch itself. All fixed now. Thanks for the advice because without the knowledge that I was on the right track, I would not have been prepared to apply so much force to break it free. Cheers, LouisR