2003 265 express with twin yamaha f225

photodave

Reaction score
Looking to find out a real ball park price for having the exhaust updated on a yamaha f225 and what else should get updated in the engine when that work is being done.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
about 2K per motor.

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
As someone said be sure to check the block at the thermostat housing. The copper tstat touches the aluminum block and the block corrodes. I posted my horror story before- the corrosion was so bad it went through the block and squirted salt water into the air intake. The result- a new powerhead for my port engine ($11K). Yam revised the tstat exterior housing in 2005 and added an anode to somewhat mitigate the problem. I retrofitted the new housings (found used ones on line) to my stbd engine and I'll check the results in the spring. There was a significant divot in the block on the stbd block this past spring, so I caught it before it corroded through. I applied a thin coat of 5200 to the divot - will let you know how it fared. Also put 5200 on the exterior of the divot to prevent it from spraying into the intake in the event it corrodes through. What a terrible design!

eppem

Reaction score
How many hours on the engines? If around 1,000 - 1,500 have them replace the oil pump and pan. At this point its just parts and a little more labor. To do the mids (exhaust), the whole engine will be torn apart to its core. Ask / tell the mechanic to replace / fix /update etc. anything he feels is questionable during the teardown of the engine. It will never be in a stripped condition like this again.

I had mine done a few years ago and went thru the above exercise (less the 1,000 hour service which I had done already). I have the same model and year as you - 2003 265, bought used in 06 with 84 hours and have 1,500 now. Been taking care of all maintenance and (knock on wood), zero issues. I did have an issue with one of my 'stat housings like the above posted but my mechanic, who is a friend, was able to fix it with a spot weld - he said its an issue on this engine but ez to fix. I rinse with salt-away, flush all the time and change the 'stats every other year.

seasick

Reaction score
eppem said:
How many hours on the engines? If around 1,000 - 1,500 have them replace the oil pump and pan. At this point its just parts and a little more labor. To do the mids (exhaust), the whole engine will be torn apart to its core. Ask / tell the mechanic to replace / fix /update etc. anything he feels is questionable during the teardown of the engine. It will never be in a stripped condition like this again.

I had mine done a few years ago and went thru the above exercise (less the 1,000 hour service which I had done already). I have the same model and year as you - 2003 265, bought used in 06 with 84 hours and have 1,500 now. Been taking care of all maintenance and (knock on wood), zero issues. I did have an issue with one of my 'stat housings like the above posted but my mechanic, who is a friend, was able to fix it with a spot weld - he said its an issue on this engine but ez to fix. I rinse with salt-away, flush all the time and change the 'stats every other year.

The pan has to be removed and inspected since it can be corroded on the inside and not visible on the outside. The oil pump doesn't go bad that often but if the motor is apart, it is wise as mentioned to change the pump.
You do not have to tear apart the whole motor to do exhausts and oil pan. You have to pull the power heads and disassemble the lower and mid housing. The cost of the job depends on the mechanics labor rate.
Assuming Yamaha is still selling the kit for the reduced price, figure about $5k for the job in my neck of the woods.

eppem

Reaction score
Just bringing this thread back to life. Been two years and had the stats replaced. The other three housings are now in need of some repair from corrosion. Can be fixed, yes, but a PITA.