Anchor Roller

fellinger

Reaction score
Does your anchor roller have a bent piece of round bar or flat bar at the tip of the roller to help guide your anchor up? Mine doesn't and I find it very odd. Is it because the 272 comes stock with an anchor locker? Has anyone added one to their roller? Attached is a picture of the what I am taking about.

Thanks

Attachments

• Anchor Roller.jpg
    Anchor Roller.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 2,765

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I've seen some rollers without the bar, but it's much more common to see them with it. I would imagine the reason for NOT having it is if the setup on the boat wasn't designed to store the anchor there and one would remove the anchor each time and store it somewhere else.

They're called a "bail" and you can either make one or buy replacements. Windline is a company that comes to mind that sells them. If you're going to make one, it's easier to do it out of flat stock instead of round bar. The flat stocks allows you to just drill holes through it for mounting.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
My 96 232 did not have one. What an absolute pain in the ass.... I ordered one, I think from Amazon and adapted it with a drill and ss screw/nut. Much better.

fellinger

Reaction score
Harpoon said:
My 96 232 did not have one. What an absolute pain in the A**.... I ordered one, I think from Amazon and adapted it with a drill and ss screw/nut. Much better.

I agree! It is a stupid design if you as me. Nothing like your anchor coming out off the roller while you are trying to hoist it in a sporty sea. I was thinking of having one made for it but, Not sure I have an area on mine to secure it.

the.devo

Reaction score
My 2000 272 has a split bail made of flat stock, which allows me to bring the anchor into the locker if tied up bow to and having crew walk on the pulpit to the pier ladder

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I bought one. I think I did a search on anchor roller parts...

artodea

Reaction score
This is what I used - quarter-turn spring-loaded pin. There when you need it and not when you don't

yhst-17525248830734_2268_21311229

Purchased from here: http://www.marinepartdepot.com/ststunanro.html

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
If you're using an open bail, be careful that the anchor shackle doesn't catch when it is being retrieved. Especially using a windlass. It can jump up and through the opening and swing around damaging you or you're boat. Inexperience taught me that with my last boat. I then switched from a shackle type anchor swivel to the smooth round barrel type swivels and was much more careful after that!

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I made one from flat bar SS like Dennis mentioned. Was not hard. Measured the curve and determined where to drill the holes. Then sanded progressively until it got a high shine, then polished out. Bent it over some pipe and installed it. It is really nice.
It actually came into great use this past weekend during beach anchoring where the boat was turned 90 degrees from the anchor and was unable to put motors down as too shallow, so was able to use windlass a bit at a time bumping it until it started moving me around and toward the anchor. The line popped out of the roller and the bail allowed it to stay within the loop and as she swung around, the rope fell back down into the roller and was able to pull free.
First time the bail .....bailed me out! :lol:

Bumpye

Reaction score
My 2003 Gulfstream does not have the bail. I've wondered the same thing before. For me it would be a pain with it as I sometimes have to maneuver the shackle through the opening as it's a bit too wide. I don't have a windlass and always store the anchor in the locker when cruising.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Just an FYI for anyone reading through this thread: When using a roller, the standard shackle, while cheap, is not always the best option. There are shackles that are designed, and look, different - almost bullet or cylindrical shaped. They're not a whole lot wider than the chain and have no pin sticking out. They won't chew up the roller, either.