Replace OEM 6.5" speakers in GW 306 with what??

bjflink

Reaction score
I'd like to replace the 4 6.5" factory speakers in my 306. I have 2 in the console, behind the t-top support braces, and 2 in my bait station. I'd like to replace them with the JL 7.7" speakers. Has anyone tried this? I measured the clearance between the t-top brace and its about 7.5", so I'd have to angle the speaker in. On the bait station, the radius on the corners of the bait station begin to start curving within 1/2" of the edge of the 6.5"speakers, so not sure if the new speakers will sit flush. I think it'll be close, but would love feedback from anyone that has already attempted this successfully, or unsuccessfully for the matter, before I break out the jig saw.

Thanks!

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You're on the right track looking into the JL's. From all reviews I've read, they seem to provide great sound for not a arm and leg price. They have 6.5" speakers that should work in your existing holes I would think.

M650-CCX are the ones I'm looking at if I can make them work on my side panels.

bjflink

Reaction score
Yep, the JLs seem to be the best. I know the 6.5's would work, but hoping for a little more sound if I can get away with the 7.7s.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Without seeing the radius of the hole it is difficult to say if the 7.7 will fit. I have done my share of care speaker installation and the basket (speaker frame) and depth are the issue, but I suspect you know this. I am saying depends on how the JL basket angles in or tapers is the issue. Some speakers have straight square like baskets that don't taper much while others taper a good bit. I know o am not being clear, but you are dealing with 3 dimensions in mounting and the shape behind the frame is as important as the frame size. If it were me, I would stick with the 6.5s and if you want a richer sound spring for a small amp and a subwoofer? I hope my ramble will help some.

bjflink

Reaction score
SmokyMtnGrady said:
Without seeing the radius of the hole it is difficult to say if the 7.7 will fit. I have done my share of care speaker installation and the basket (speaker frame) and depth are the issue, but I suspect you know this. I am saying depends on how the JL basket angles in or tapers is the issue. Some speakers have straight square like baskets that don't taper much while others taper a good bit. I know o am not being clear, but you are dealing with 3 dimensions in mounting and the shape behind the frame is as important as the frame size. If it were me, I would stick with the 6.5s and if you want a richer sound spring for a small amp and a subwoofer? I hope my ramble will help some.

Thank you. No, you are being perfectly clear. I understand what you're saying about how the basket tapers. I need to measure twice on this one...hate to cut a hole only to find out it won't fit. Maybe you're right - go with the 6.5's. Size doesn't matter anyway, right...nevermind, thats what she said.

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
I replaced my factory cockpit speakers two years ago with a pair of JL M650s and and a JL M200 2 channel amp to push them and couldn't be happier. Speaker installation was an easy, drop-in replacement. Amp was a little more involved as I had to run 4 awg cables from the house battery to power it but they're the only two speakers I use and they sound great. Easy to hear even while running wide open and I've not even come close to maxing the power. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by how much sound the 6.5s provide. Whatever you end up with double check the power requirements as most of the different speakers I looked at required more power than my Sony head unit could provide thus necessitating the amp.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I replaced the oem 6.5" speakers on my boat with JL's. Nice upgrade as the sound is much better then the old speakers. The JL's are a little bit deeper then the originals, but they are mounted in the electronic box, so I had room to spare. But depth is something to consider for a lot of installations.

bjflink

Reaction score
Thank you all for the feedback. I was leaning toward the JL 770s, but now I'm thinking I dont want to go through the hassle of cutting new holes. So I'm now deciding to go with either the MX650s and no amp, or the M650s and temporarily run them off the head unit until I buy/install an amp later on.

bjflink

Reaction score
Ended up going with the drop in replacements...JL M650s. They sound good, but are a little clippy/distorted at anything above medium volume. I dont have an amp yet, so they are being driven purely by my fusion head unit (25RMS x 4), so hopefully the bad sound is related to being under powered and not defective speakers. I plan to install the M400/4 soon to test.