Boarding ladder ideas

dale1

Reaction score
Greetings, its time to change or upgrade the boarding ladder/platform.

What is the best choice, or best solution?

I don't mind cutting, drilling, etc, if I can have a better set up.

2002, 265 express.

thanks,
dale

dale1

Reaction score
Dennis,

Thanks. I don't have a picture with me here at work. its the typical 3 step telescoping ladder attached to the swim platform. I'll get a picture when i get home.

Problem is, the boat turns into a scalloping machine in the summer. My son-in-law weights in about 250. the platform cracks from the continuous use. the 265 express is awkward anyway for boarding.

I'm hoping to find one that the swim platform and ladder would fold up against the transom when not in use. but it has to be sturdy.

thanks,
dale

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Have you considered a dive ladder? There a a few different configurations. They reach deeper, fold up as you asked and are a bit stronger.
Here is one version...
2cqnudt.jpg

My Overnighter has the factory teak platform with two steps but there is nothing to grab once your on it to help board the boat. Im looking to add some sort of grab rail if I can figure a good place to mount it.
Mike

dale1

Reaction score
Yes. that seems much better than what i have. I guess the term boarding ladder was not correct. after reading, i'm looking for a swim platform with telescoping ladder. thanks again, dale

I would like something functional, but not too big if possible. the swim platform now rides in the water at low speed. "16 to 18 knots" that causes spay on the port motor.

thanks

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
When you say "swim platform", what style do you have? There are many styles out there. If I took a guess, though... do you have the small, white, plastic square style with a stainless grabrail from it to the transom on one side of the platform? Is the ladder currently attached to the top of the platform or bottom? Assuming... top?

Assuming all of the above... It's pretty common for those to creak, moan and squeal when someone uses it. But they're not as fragile as it would sound. However, you could very simply make it stronger. A piece of aluminum, SS or even fiberglass angle iron attached under the platform from port to starboard (near the back edge), and then another support bar run from the angle iron, down to the transom. This could be done as simply as crushing the ends of a SS tube and then bending them to the appropriate angle.

Personally, I don't have any experience with a folding platform. But are you asking because of the water spray issue? Maybe this is common to your hull, I can't answer that. BUT, "typically" when a boat is squatting it can be rectified with a combination of engine down trim and the use of the trim tabs, possibly fully deployed. It will also level out the boat and bring the bow down for better forward visibility and a smoother ride.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I have seen a couple of 265's without the swim platform but just a removable dive ladder where the swim platform would be. I don't know if it would be any better then the current setup for getting in and out of the boat. I agree it is awkward to get in and out of the boat. One of the reasons my next boat is going to have a door. Did you ever think of trying a boarding ladder that hangs over the side?