Slipping a 330 express

themikehyde

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.themikehyde.com
Hello Grady owners, I just took delivery of my 2009 330 Express last Friday. Love the boat!!! This is the first twin outboard I have had to slip, and am curious how others handle criss-crossing the stern lines, so as not to have the lines rub across the outboard (350's) covers. The cleats on the gunnels seem so far forward of the stern. The only other option I see is to use the stern eyes. Sorry I did not take a picture, but looking for ideas.

BTW - Did I mention live this boat?????
Mike

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hey Capt;

Congrats..Great rig.

Have some soft "sock-type" slipovers custom made for your stern lines where they would rub against the cowlings. One of our club members made some for us and they work great. Velcro the ends so they will stay in one place on the line when the boat tugs back-and-forth with wind & current.

themikehyde

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.themikehyde.com
Thanks, will check into that! We are in a covered slip, after removing the outriggers, so we are hoping not get too much motion.

Mike

HMBJack

Reaction score
Yes to the above + buy a pair of cowling covers to further minimize rubbing. Personally, I'd figure out how to set your lines without criss crossing. They will rub 24 hours a day and cause harm to something eventually... My 330 is held nicely with a pair of spring lines off the mid ship cleat.

Good luck with your 330. You're going to love it!

themikehyde

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.themikehyde.com
Thanks guys. I like the dock line sleeve, and the idea of getting cowl covers. Not sure how to really tie it up with out criss-crossing, due to our tide fluctuation. Last think I want is this to rub the finger pier.

I had quite a scare last Friday when I received a call our marina our marina had been hit by a tornado. Turns out it was "Straight line winds," but it sure did a lot of damage to our dock. Both ends were really destroyed, but we were one o the lucky ones!

So far, we are loving this boat!

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
For what it's worth I have to have a single line cross my motors in my slip exactly as the OP says. I bought a chafe guard to protect the cowling this year, but it was bare rope all last season and I didn't notice any abrasion on the cowling. I'm going to try to find a sock-like guard which sounds better than the rubber one I have now.

themikehyde

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.themikehyde.com
Thanks, I ordered these off amazon. Cape Hatteras Dock Line Chafe Guards 18" Black (Pkg of 2). I will put them on tonight and see. I hope my motor covers come in today!
Mike

Austin99

Reaction score
I have seen someone using a mooring whip , where the the stern lines cross through the loop of the mooring whip line. It definitely kept them off the cowlings, but you'll still have a friction issue among the lines. Just a thought.

georgemjr

Reaction score
I use the stern loops by splicing in a clip into my line. No crisis crossing, works great. My spring line runs from front pole to dock with a loop near the stern for the stern cleat. Therefore, I can back in, and put spring loop on rear cleat which is easily accessible and hold boat in place while I clip the two rear loops and then walk to the bow for front lines.

themikehyde

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.themikehyde.com
George,
Are you on a floating dock? Even though I have a fairly wide slip, I just do not see how I can allow for enough tidal change, without criss crossing. Any way you could email me a pic?

Thanks,
Mike

Finest Kind

Reaction score
Yes, the stern rings usually work better than the stern cleats since they give you a lower angle, plus using hooks, it's quick and easy to just clip the stern lines on. (see pic)

To protect your motor covers from damage, go to Walmart or a pool supply store and buy a couple of "pool noodles".
Cut to appropriate length, pull your dock lines through and you are all set!
(drop a small sinker tied to some fishing line through the pool noodle tube, tie the fishing line to your dock line, and use it as a snake to pull the line through)
Old pic of pool noodle used here:

Alternative is to go to local hardware store and buy a couple of foam pipe insulators, they are slit on one side and will wrap right around the dock line. They work OK but do not stand up as well as the pool noodles.
Old pic of pipe insulators used here:

Finest Kind

Reaction score
Also note on the lower pic:

The spring lines and the bow lines are attached to the forward pilings.
Those spring lines are attached to the mid-ship cleats and run up through clothes-line pulleys with heavy weights suspended down along the side of the piling and into the water. (if you look closely at the pic you can see the weight hanging up out of the water during the dead low tide that was in effect when the pic was taken)

I made the weights using 3 foot sections of PVC drain pipe filled with cement and cast-in a section of rope as a "handle" to tie off to.
The weights always pull the boat forward away from the dock and the stern lines hold the boat in place at the proper distance.
The bow lines usually stay slack except in high cross winds and in that case they will hold the boat so it stays straight in the slip.

Using this set-up, no matter what the tide, the boat remains secure on all sides and the lifted motors and props are safe from damage against the rear dock.

themikehyde

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.themikehyde.com
I will definatly see what i can come up with. Hoping to incorporate my shore power also. Thanks for all the good ideas everyone!
Mike