Make The Trade?

MashpeeMan

Reaction score
Hello, I just joined the forum and my first question is probably easy for most of you to answer, but I'd appreciate the advice: I currently own a 2006 Seafox 197 center console with a 115 4 stroke motor. I bought the boat new in 2006 and it's been flawless. My father has a 2002 Grady White 192 Freedom with a 150 2 stroke that is also in mint condition. He has decided that he wants to give me his boat because he rarely uses it (he just turned 80 and he's not comfortable going out of the bay, etc.). So my though is that I'd take the Grady and sell my seafox... my only hesitation is that the Grady is a few years older and (most importantly) I'll be going from a 4 stroke motor to a 2 stroke on the Grady. Is this a no brainer like I think it is (going to the Grady)? I'd appreciate your thoughts. I boat on the Cape (Cape Cod) and frequently run to areas like Martha's Vineyard. Thanks for your help.

seafarer94

Reaction score
If he is giving you the boat can you run the Grady until you are sure that you will like it and then decide if you want to sell your boat. No boat is perfect, so you will have to pick the boat that fits you the best. If it were me I'd take the Grady.

G8RDave

Reaction score
I agree with 94. Run your dad's boat for awhile and see what you think. I love 4 strokes, but if the 2 stoke is solid, it could be a great trade.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've gone from a '02 Trophy to a '05 Seaswirl Striper and now finally to a '04 228,,, all the boats were/are cuddy cabin models and all similar in size. Biggest thing I've noticed is the ride, no comparison, Grady wins.

In your case you have the luxury to try before you decide to sell. Use the Grady as you normally would the Seafox, that will tell you what you want to know.

Another thought, your dad is giving you the boat. Time with your parents is precious. I wish mine were still here to share my new to me Grady with. He's uncomfortable going out now due to his age, so you take him out in the boat he's handed down to you. Spend quality time together enjoying being on the water.

Reactions: Sparkdog118

MashpeeMan

Reaction score
Thanks guys... all great advice. And absolutely agreed on time together with my folks. They have a place that's close to my cottage on the Cape, so getting together for boating is always a great reason to spend time together. I've ran his Grady in the Bay (Waquoit) last summer and it ran like a top. Definitely had a more solid/heavy feel than the Seafox, and the two stroke was a little bit noisier at idle than the 4 I've been running on the Seafox, but it was flawless. I haven't run the Grady in open water yet, and I like to run to Martha's Vineyard several times a season, so I'll have plenty of opportunity, but I have no doubt the GW will handle that very well. I also agree with the idea of making the trade, running the Grady for a few years, and then upgrading to something a little bigger (and newer with a 4 stroke) if I want to go that route. I presume the GW will hold its value over the next few years, so that seems like a smart move. Again, thanks for all of your help and good advice!

MashpeeMan

Reaction score
Figured I'd check in as a follow up as I came across this thread I posted a few years ago. I did follow the helpful advice and ran the Grady then decided to sell the Seafox and have been running the Grady the past two seasons and looking forward to getting back in the water again over the next few days. I get a lot of complements on the boat and really enjoy running it. Even though the 192 isn't a very big boat it does everything I need and it handles the chop of Nantucket Sound like a champ. The 150 HPDI seems to be a great engine. The only thing I'm looking to do now is get the seating re-upholstered and she'll look like a new boat (already runs like one)!58707614469__276F46A6-1F60-40B6-8EF2-07B9B4A2A0C8.JPG

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks for the follow up. You had the perfect opportunity to be able to make your decision on which boat to keep. Not that I'm biased, but glad you chose the Grady. Looking at the old posts above, my post was a month after I purchased my Grady. Even though I've had to do a world of work on her, I have no regrets on my purchase. Get your seats done and enjoy her.

MashpeeMan

Reaction score
Thanks for the follow up. You had the perfect opportunity to be able to make your decision on which boat to keep. Not that I'm biased, but glad you chose the Grady. Looking at the old posts above, my post was a month after I purchased my Grady. Even though I've had to do a world of work on her, I have no regrets on my purchase. Get your seats done and enjoy her.

Yes thanks... took her out this weekend for the first time this season (without the cushions and the back to back seat which I'm having re-upholstered). Great to be back out on the water and she ran like a top! Couldn't be happier that I chose the Grady.