Crack near or in transom? - 1991 Seafarer 228g

seasalt

Reaction score
Hello,
I am looking at purchasing a 1991 Seafarer and this is my second inquiry ( newbie!) to all of you. I am getting the boat surveyed in a few weeks time , but just came across these cracks, Starboard side. just above the switch in the battery compartment. The crack does not look fresh by any stretch and is kind of half way between the main outboard and gunwales. It is pretty big, but is this technically part of the transom and how much concern is this. Everything seems fairly solid on this boat but I am coming from a smaller welded aluminum boat background. I jumped a little on the pod which seemed super solid, but did not do this while observing the crack. It even seems to be in a strange place for a stress fracture, but I am eagerly awaiting your thoughts/opinions.
Thanks!
Seasalt

Attachments

• image-crack copy.JPG
    image-crack copy.JPG
    417.8 KB · Views: 744
  • IMG_1680 copy.jpg
    IMG_1680 copy.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 744
  • IMG_1682 copy 2.jpg
    IMG_1682 copy 2.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 744

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I think I know which beam you are discussing here. Is it soft? I would ask the surveyor to give it a closer look. The hull is 26 years old, it may be nothing or something , but you already know this. Good luck.

gw204

Reaction score
That's the beam that runs horizontally across the transom, isn't it? If I remember correctly, the one in my Sailfish wasn't glassed over on the ends, so it definitely has the possibility of getting wet. If it get enough moisture in it, it could swell and pop the glass...which is what that one appears to have done.

I don't know if the core of the beam is isolated from the transom core or not. My guess is probably not so if the beam is wet, there's a good chance the transom core is as well.

In addition to the cracks, several other things in those pictures would concern me:

1. An abandoned hose that looks to be plugged with a wadded up paper towel and a hose clamp.
2. Very disorganized wiring and cut zip ties still handing around.
3. Old screws into the transom (my guess is the trim tab pump was moved).
4. Trim tab pump cover screw not tightened.
5. Lots and lots of filth.

You're looking at a neglected/mistreated boat my friend. Approach with caution.

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
and

6. Battery switch does not belong in the bilge
7. Unsealed screw holes

I would not buy a boat with a crack like that!

seasalt

Reaction score
Thank for the replies so far! It is a bit of a mess back there for sure. The Trim tab power unit is definitely not working and I think a lot of the general filth is spewed hydraulic oil from the unit ( the lid not on is my fault, I was checking it out and didn't re tighten). I just assumed that is where they located the battery switches. I'm not sure what the clamped hose is - I think wash down hose? It is good to know about the screw holes- I did not even give them a second thought, figuring it is not a big deal as it is a covered area.
There doesn't seem to be any softness anywhere, but I am no expert and hopefully the surveyor can shed some light also!

It is difficult buying these older boats that are more affordable and trying to weigh the positives and negatives vs price etc. etc. There are a few good things on this boat like brand new gas tank/ system, but certainly at the end of the day I want a good hull or at least one that is worth fixing if the price is right.

G8RDave

Reaction score
everwhom said:
and

6. Battery switch does not belong in the bilge
7. Unsealed screw holes

I would not buy a boat with a crack like that!

That's not the bilge. The switch is well above deck level. I'm not sure how that beam/shelf attaches to the transom, but I don't think I would consider it to be part of the actual transom. Definitely worth having your inspector check it out though.

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
G8RDave said:
That's not the bilge. The switch is well above deck level. I'm not sure how that beam/shelf attaches to the transom, but I don't think I would consider it to be part of the actual transom. Definitely worth having your inspector check it out though.

Ah OK, sorry for the misinformation!