New motor break in....

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Well guys picked it up today and went to lake Murray. I have 1.3 hours on it (lol). I did not have a note pad so I did record fuel burn ...well it displayed but I did not write it down.

I varied the RPM between idle and 2000 for the first hour. At the start of the 2nd hour I got the boat to plane at 21 mph and at 3100 RPM. Again per Yammaha, I varied my speed for the next 20 minutes pushing it to 3800 RPM and the boat was hitting 30-31 MPH ( not knots). With the 3.3 liter that was occuring around 4200 4300 RPM. I am Turing a 15.5x17 power tech 4 blade prop.

I appear to be getting around 3.1 mpg at 27 mph at around 3500 RPM. I will bring a note pad and get gph being burned plus fuel economy.

I like the digital throttle. Since I play video games with my son it was kind of similar in response . I found it easy around the dock there.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Now you need to start running it hard. During the third hr give it 1 minute at full throttle every 10 minutes. Vary the speed in between time. Use full throttle to accelerate to WOT each time.

There is a difference between what the owner's manual and the shop manual say about break-in. You need to build up maximum cylinder pressure in order to seat the rings right during break-in. Just be sure that the engine is fully warmed up before putting the hamar down.

I've done hard break-ins and easy ones. The only 2 engines I've owned that made oil were broken in gently. The cylinder walls will become glazed from partially burned fuel and oil if you don't seat the rings properly during the first few hours of operation. After that time, the only way to remove the glaze is to re-hone the cylinders.

Finest Kind

Reaction score
Here is how I broke in my new ETEC G2's:

After launching for the first time, I idled out to a safe area and then went FULL THROTTLE!
(no break in period with these awesome motors) :dance

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I'm breaking in twin F250 s with 2 hours on them. I believe the Yamaha recommendation after 2 hours is similar to the prior post. Utilize the engine at varying speeds - wide open is recommended for no more than 5 minutes and then a reduced throttle speed. Good luck with it

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Thanks Legend. I have not taken her out yet since bringing her home. I am hoping Saturday is the day.

You know Finest the odd thing is Yammaha be 4.2 liter motors use a similar plasma fused cylinder wall as ETEC. I guess because 4 strokes have more parts moving around and an oil pump they need some TLC at the start. However, my Tundra I bought last year did not have a break in period. Glad you're happy with the ETEC. I considered them but the dealer network is lacking for my area among other things.