86 Overnighter Fuel Cap O-Ring

timo14

Reaction score
The o-ring on my fuel fill cap dry-rotted and is now MIA. I saw that it was going bad last year... figured I'd replace this spring. Bad decision to wait. Anyone know of a replacement size or maybe OEM? Not sure what other info to add other than the boat is a 1986.
Thanks,
Tim

CatTwentyTwo

Reaction score
I would just take the cap down to your local hardware store and look thru their assortment of O-rings until you find one that's a snug fit on the cap.

timo14

Reaction score
Thought of that, but i'm concerned about the thickness of the ring. It needs to make a tight seal to the female part of the fill to keep water out. I remember it being pretty thick... or maybe I don't.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I wish you luck with this. Awhile back I replaced my tank and all fuel lines. I looked for an aftermarket fuel fill and of course the Grady unit is a different size. Ended up reinstalling the original fill with its awesome vintage patina. :wink:
It's also a real bear to get at the bolts.

If you ever have to replace that hose here is a tip...

One of the nuts underneith was impossible to access. It's the rear bolt. You can get close but it's just too tight to get a wrench or socket on. I ended up drilling the bolt head out.
To reinstall, I clamped the hose to the filler neck before dropping it into place. To handle the tough impossible to reach bolt I used a long bolt, (2-3" will get it low enough to get a finger on) a lock washer and a wing nut. Turning the screw head from above the wing nut rides up against the hose which prevents it from turning and once snug the lock washer locks it in place.
Mike

seasick

Reaction score
It's probably a Perko. If so give them a call. They sent a couple to me a while back

Fishtales

Reaction score
Agree. Check the Perko website and local West Marine. I think you will find one.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I was able to find some replacements online a few years back. Don't recall where I found them. It might have been Perko. However, since I have found that the red colored oring that comes on my headlight bulb adapter fits perfectly and so far has held up better. They are smaller, but can stretch to fit.