Grady vs What??

ReelinTime

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am presently considering making the plunge for a New Grady 232. Having a hard time with the 3rd and 4th person being subject to the weather. Am on the West Coast of BC, Canada and sure wish the roof was a bit longer and the sides also. What advice can you give me towards that and also, who is Grady's biggest competitor quality wise?

Dave

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hey Mr. Reelin'

I have a 232 and while not being familiar with your wx conditions and sea state, it sounds like the 232 is too small a boat for your needs.

3 crew under the hardtop is doable, the 4th will be a crowd, especially with the aft curtains down.. Plus, while the 9'3" beam gives it stability, it's still a 23 footer. Anything over 2 foot seas and 10-15kts of wind will be an uncomfortable ride unless it's residual swell with wide spacing/intervals.

Can't comment on Grady's closest competitor, but to take a stab at it, I'd say Pursuit & Boston Whaler. I think they have rigs in the 25-26 ft range which, in my opinion, would be more suitable for your plans.

I would look around a bit more, especially since you have yet to commit. Luck to 'ya!

Fishtales

Reaction score
Some walk/cabins to look at Century 2200, Wellcraft 23 or 25, Robalo 26,
For quality check the Boston Whaler 28, Pursuit OS325, both larger but will give you an idea.

I think the Gulfstream 232 is a tough boat to beat in its class. With Yamaha 150s you have reliability with twins. Beam is 9" more than most at 9'3" and probably easy enough to trailer and get by the 8'6" trailer limit. Decent range with the 140 gal fuel tank. A proven design that has not been messed around with - sensible upgrades every year though. High gunnels with bolsters good for children and leaning into when fishing. Porta potty - not a head, but better than a bucket. Nice sized cockpit that is enclosed (aft), safe and larger than most. GW customer service needs to be factored as well. You don't get the tail light guarantee, they will stand behind the boat.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I have lookrd at various shades type products which can be added to the hard top , I think one is called Sure Shade?

Competitors ...Pursuit and Whaler. There are other Walk-arounds on the market. The wellcraft as mentioned above does make them but their ride is not as good and their fit and finish is also not as nice as Grady. I wish I lived closer to the coast. The 232 is very big 23 footer, probably the biggest on the market. I would own one in a heart beat if not but for the trailering issues traveling like we do . I have been aboard one and the wide beam , stand up cabin are nice. My advice is to sea trial any brand you think you would like and then get the boat you truly want based on your trials.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
One more thing;

If you do decide on a 232 Gulfstream, I strongly suggest powering it with 200's. I have '06 200 4-strokes on mine, and wouldn't have it with anything else. Perfect power.

ReelinTime

Reaction score
Thank you for the input gentlemen! Going to consider a Marlin 300 or a Whaler Conquest 28 also, just those are alot of boat for what I need.

Polapea

Reaction score
In walkarounds
Grady, Whaler and Pursuit

The 28 Conquest vs the 30 Marlin isn't a fair fight. We had a 282 Sailfish previous to our Marlin and the extra weight in the Marlin makes for a much better ride.

Not knowing your budget the Pursuit OS is a very nice set up worth looking at.

FYI 3 under the hardtop is doable with the companion seat. 4 I don't see being possible unless one person stands.

gw204

Reaction score
Sounds to me like you really need a pilothouse. Over here on the east coast we have offerings from Parker, Steiger, Maycraft, Judge/Eastern that would suit you needs well. Not sure what you guys have over there but it may be worth investigating.

Hotchief

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You may want to consider canvas extension options if you like the 232.

I had a brow extension made with an extended cruise enclosure. We are able to keep the family of 4 all inside the boat while underway.
I also had a slant back canvas made for the cockpit when docked/moored in the winter.

It especially came together when I added the Webasto Diesel Furnace.
We enjoy year round boating in the NW.

In the summer I switch back to the factory drop curtain in order to maximize the cockpit space for fishing.
All in all this boat has 3 canvas cover options based on what season we're in.

(I have no clue why the photos are uploaded upside down, but you get the idea)

Good luck in your research.

MD

Attachments

• IMG_1384.JPG
    IMG_1384.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 1,081
  • IMG_1383.JPG
    IMG_1383.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 1,076
  • IMG_1205.JPG
    IMG_1205.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 1,078