2014 Marlin leaks

Polapea

Reaction score
We have a '14 Marlin which is lift kept and we're getting water into places our old boat 282 Sailfish never got wet. Wondering if anyone has any feedback.

1. Water in bilge under mid-berth. We constantly have water in this bilge. Our previous boat was bone dry.
2. Water in starboard compartment under the V-berth. This is new and have no idea how it got in.
3. Water in forward compartment under berth. This isn't standing water but my sea anchor is wet.
4. Anchor Locker- any water that hits the deck is pouring into the anchor locker through the hatch. You can see the gaps in the hatch looking up through the anchor locker. Anyone put a gasket on this hatch to stop water from pouring in?
5. We had a bit of water drip out between the bolsters in the v-berth

I thought all the water may be getting in through the anchor locker but when I put the hose over the hatch the water ended up in the aft bilge so I'm still at a loss on how the other areas are getting wet.

We had some caulking replaced to address a couple leaks but we are seeing water in places I don't think we should. Anyone experience similar?

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi,
I find that if you get any water in the boat, it tends to go to the mid birth area first when at rest in my slip. Some things to check.
- The two aft cup holders. They drain into the bilge and between rain and washdown it can be more than you think.
- Anchor rode, this too will drain into the bilge.
- Any leaks from the freshwater or hot water systems. I've had a small drip at the galley faucet as well as the aft freshwater washdown. You should hear the pressure pump cycling if this is the case.
- I've heard of window leaks. Pretty easy to check if this is the case.
- Hardtop support leaks. Never have had but a possibility.
- Small storage boxes at the step. If these are not fully engaged or there is a leak around the frame. A lot of water comes down the walk area if in rough seas or during washdown.
- Shower or any water at the sole of the head. Check the sump pump for operation. Maybe water is overflowing and going into the bilge.
- Cabin sole. If you wash this area down it goes in the bilge through the small drain holes.
- During cleaning. If water gets in under the aft trash can or under the gunnel rod holder circular cut outs. Again, these lead right to the bilge.

tx

Polapea

Reaction score
Thanks I'll check those items. Windows were previously fixed.

abielecki

Reaction score
Hi I have a new to me 2004 Marlin and am seeing the same thing, water in the forward bilge below the mid-berth. I am also in the process of finding the source. Please keep this post going as I will also add what I find. My suspicion is the anchor locker (i have a lewmar windless) and then I am also thinking that at rest any water in the aft bilge may be flowing to the forward bilge under the mid berth. I will bite the bullet, suck out all the water in the forward bilge, run a hose to the aft bilge and monitor the forward bilge to see if it fills.

Andrew
(908) 963-1997

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
abielecki said:
Hi I have a new to me 2004 Marlin and am seeing the same thing, water in the forward bilge below the mid-berth. I am also in the process of finding the source.

Two years in a row I have had this problem and, luckily, both times it was an easy fix. The fresh water plumbing. Last year there was a loose clamp near the hot water heater. My fault as it was where I by-passed the heater for winterization. Just a drip but it added up quickly. This year, a loose clamp behind one of the mid-berth access panels. This one not my fault and, again just a constant drip which adds up quickly! The pump did not come on abnormally often signalling a larger leak with a pressure loss!

There are water lines crisscrossing that boat and at any juncture, there could be a leaking fitting. My advise would be to pressurize your fresh water system and open all your access panels using a bright light to inspect all plumbing. While you're at it, run the AC (if equipped) as the hose going to the unit could be leaking. As you view into each space, have someone flush the head, run water into sinks etc, to ensure all fittings are tight.

Another check. If you by-pass and drain you water heater during the winter, either the drain or the pressure relief valve could be not seated properly. They both come together and drain into the bilge. Just a weaper adds up!

One piece of advice when you reinstall starboard access panels, do not over tighten! You will crack/break the panel. It is thin. Ask me how I know! :doh

Good luck!

1998sailfish

Reaction score
I've owned my 2000 Marlin since mid summer 2014. I recently did the following to control the wet bilge issues.

Rear cup holders draining into rear bilge:
Re plumbed the cup holder drains to connect to the overboard drain that clears water from the inner rim of the live well .

I have always had a extremely slow buildup of water in my forward bilge while at rest:
Cleaned the forward bilge spotless. Found a extremely slow ( as in only visible with a bright light at a angle to show wet spot) weeping water leak around the head intake thru hull. Hauled the boat and removed the thru hull. noticed that the hole was cut larger than required at the factory. This resulted in minimal bedding surface on the exterior. Cleaned and re installed the thru-hull with 3M 4200, Left the boat in the travel lift sling most of the day. Splashed the boat, leak gone . Front bilge is now dry.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Is it possible this water is coming in when running in seas or is this at rest?

I have been battling some leaks now for a couple of years. Over time, found some issues and fixed such as leaking water line, then caulk around window channels, hardtop stantions, etc.

Windows seemed to continue to leak, so flushed tracks with pressure hose and lots of gunk came out that likely was not allowing them to drain properly. They are better now, but then notices when running in heavy seas, was still getting cushions soaked. No leaks detected with water hose testing and I had put a double "D" seal around the hatch and no water was coming in there! So what the heck! Then I noticed the carpet on the sides under the walkway above was wet and you could see the wet streaks where water was flowing down, running onto the cushions then to floor.I checked and found this while offshore while I thought about checking it then.
Seems it was coming in from the rubrail area. We again water hose tested but could not get it to leak.
So, I pulled the rubrail off from front point to mid ships. Cleaned it up, tightened any loose screws, which only had one loose one that is under the rubrail, caulked under the rubrail where it seemed to have some gaps, reinstalled the rubrail with some silicone behind it and on all the screws.
Now, next time I go out, will check it again on that side. If no more leaking, then will do same on other side.

I have a theory here that when pushing hard into the seas, the pressure on the hull sides is flexing in/out enough to open up the rail enough to allow some water in and then it was coming into the boat. However, I see no signs of weakness in this area. I do know it does not take a big hole to allow lots of water in. My truck had a pinhole in the top where the factory seam sealer is, and this tiny pinhole allowed enough water into the truck to heavilysoak the carpet and padding. That was just from a pinhole....imagine the force of water running into heavy seas!

Fingers are crossed!

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
My 2007 has always been bone dry under the V in all compartments, the mid bilge under the mid-berth has always been wet from a combo of aforementioned items: anchor locker, loose hose clamps on freshwater system, cup holders, AC unit, and after being washed thoroughly via all the small surface areas that can drain to this area, the lowest spot in the boat at idle.

I never considered this area would/could ever be dry...? I leave the cushion up and hatch open to this area of the bilge if I'm going to be out of the boat for a week or more to let air circulate.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Update on leak..Ran offshore a couple weeks back after I had sealed the port side rubrail. I was in mostly 2-4' seas and pushed into some enough to throw lots of water up and over hardtop. I had zero water coming into cabin this time! So hopefully that will resolve the issue. So far, I did not find any coming in on the starboard side, but will keep an eye out.

My windows still allow some water into the inside track and then run down the side carpet. I need to open up the outside weep holes in the track some I think to allow more water to get out. I believe the rubber inside the track is laying too much onto the weep holes, not allowing it to drain fast enough. Will try that before I order some replacement rubber for the window.