Floor panels on Tournament 22

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My 2 large panels down the center of the deck are starting to flex, especially near the inspection ports. I suspect the old plywood coring is breaking down. Anyone ever repaired these panels?

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My seafarer had this issue and I just had it fixed. The main cover over the gas tank was sagging when I walked on it. When I took it off the fiberglass was not attached at all on one side and the core was wet and rotted. Had a fiberglass guy put in a one piece section of plywood and glassed it. Reinstalled it and it is solid as a rock. I took the panel off got the old glass and core off and he did the rest. Cost me $400 for the entire job.

Was going to do it myself but by the time I bought the materials I was at about $340 so an extra 60 was worth it to have it done right. The downside was waiting it took three weeks for him to get it done. But I should have done it over the winter when he wasn't working on big projects.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks for the reply. Do you know what thickness plywood was used for the core on the rebuild? GW told me that marine plywood was not produced until 1997, which surprised me, and all their boats after 1997 had it. Mine is a '93.

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The wood that came off was 1/2 inch and in little squares. I believe he used 1/2 as well but said it was a little thicker than 1/2.

The nice part is the plywood is one piece so hopefully stronger.