2008 208 Adventure Locking Seat Replacement

Mainah

Reaction score
Hello,

New 2008 208 Adventure owner and new to the forum. Always wanted this boat and couldn't be happier with it. However the port or passenger side seat locking/slide mechanism needs to be replaced. It was frozen in place and on a recent trip a not so gentle passenger forced the seat to swivel and broke the metal collar underneath. Now the seat will not lock into place for either slide or swivel position. Has anyone replaced this before and can you point me in the right direction for parts and a general overview of the process? The starboard or helm seat is also corroded. It will adjust for sliding but will not swivel so I'd like to replace that one as well. Thanks in advance for any help you folks can offer.

Best,
Mainah

Attachments

• IMG_0822 (002).JPG
    IMG_0822 (002).JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 1,476

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Are those the Pompanette seats? I just replace both of mine on my 2004 228 Seafarer. Went through Pompanette and got the replacements. They are proud of them but they were direct replacements and fit perfect.

Mainah

Reaction score
I'm not sure if they are Pompanette seats or not. I'll have to take a look. I was hoping there was an aftermarket seat mount I could use to replace the current ones.

Michigan Brian

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I replaced mine on my 94 208 years ago.

They are a common size, I just went to Overtons or West Marine (cant recall now it was a while ago) and found some that matched the sizes of the tube and seat bolt pattern

gw204

Reaction score
Had a similar thing happen on a fishing chair base once and I had Don @ Pipe Dreams Marine weld it for me.

I have two swivel bases at home in the basement. They are a different style so I'm not sure if they would work for you or not.

IMG_2515_zpskyxnyaqy.jpg

Scott M

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have a 1999 208 and the captain's chairs are corroded beyond repair. I asked my dealer about replacements, since they still make the 208 and was told it would be about $6000!! Sorry, but that isn't going to happen... Any suggestions for alternate replacements? Thanks in advance...
Scott

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Scott M said:
Hi All,
I have a 1999 208 and the captain's chairs are corroded beyond repair. I asked my dealer about replacements, since they still make the 208 and was told it would be about $6000!! Sorry, but that isn't going to happen... Any suggestions for alternate replacements? Thanks in advance...
Scott

C'mon, now. Does that price SOUND correct? You're either exaggerating for effect here or whomever told you that was saying it in jest and you believed them hook, line and sinker. :roll:

There's a couple good suggestions in the posts previous to yours. Did you read those?

"Most" seat hardware is based on a standard fitment of where the spider or the slider attaches to the seat. So that part shouldn't be an issue. But you can measure to be sure. Really, the main thing to check is the diameter of you post. Check on Pompanette's website for a matching setup, check other companies such as Garelick or Attwood. Just look for something that matches the measurements you found. Once you find what will work for you, you get the product through a local marine retailer or search online for the part number.

Scott M

Reaction score
DennisG,
No, it didn't sound reasonable at all! But after seeing a somewhat similar, complete helm chair from Pompanette for $2100 each, I'm not entirely shocked that Grady wants around $3000 each. That said, I've now restricted my search for only the seats--my pedestal's and spider etc seem OK. I saw a reasonable looking helm chair from LLebroc for about $1000, but will keep looking. I believe I have a 2 7/8" post, but my spider goes around the post, rather than inside-- from what others I've tried to see online appear to be. I do need to measure the turn radius etc, because the existing ones are a tight fit on my boat. Thanks for the reply.
Scott

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Scott M said:
DennisG,
No, it didn't sound reasonable at all! But after seeing a somewhat similar, complete helm chair from Pompanette for $2100 each, I'm not entirely shocked that Grady wants around $3000 each. That said, I've now restricted my search for only the seats--my pedestal's and spider etc seem OK. I saw a reasonable looking helm chair from LLebroc for about $1000, but will keep looking. I believe I have a 2 7/8" post, but my spider goes around the post, rather than inside-- from what others I've tried to see online appear to be. I do need to measure the turn radius etc, because the existing ones are a tight fit on my boat. Thanks for the reply.
Scott

Yeah, apparently Pompanette makes their seats out of gold. But I thought gold didn't corrode? :mrgreen: That is still an absolutely ludicrous price for 21' boat's seat, if it is a matching style to what you have. Are you sure you're looking at an equivalent style? This just doesn't right. What do your seats look like? Like this? http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2004/Gr ... VEEBvUrK00

Actually, I misread what you wrote. Since this post was about the spider/pedestal/etc part, I thought you were referring to that as well. I didn't realize you had changed the subject of the OP's thread. Without getting too much further off track, try the others I mentioned... Garelick, Attwood. Also try Todd.

Are the parts of your seat that are corroded replaceable separately, or can they be sanded and painted/powder coated?

Spiders DO typically go around the post. In other words, the spider is the female part, the post is the male. Just like the picture posted by GW204.

Scott M

Reaction score
Thanks all,
I've been out of town the last 4 days and am leaving again in the am. I'll try to respond when I get back.
Scott

Mainah

Reaction score
Looks like I'm going with after market replacement seat spiders. I've been working with my local dealer to try and get Grady factory replacements, but after months of trying I'm now being told Grady can't provide them.

Mainah

Reaction score
DennisG01 said:
By the way, where in Maine are you? My vacation spot is in Cushing (Friendship) and will be there in about a week and half.

Hey Dennis,

I'm in Cumberland so further south from your vacation spot. Friendship is a beautiful area. Hope you enjoyed your stay.