Auto Bilge float switch

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
2003 Seafarer 226

I have two bilge pumps for my 226 both work when activated manually via the rocker switches but the auto float switches don't activate the pumps. I bought a new float switches and when installing them in the bilge nothing happens. If I take the wires and hook three of them two black and one grey together and take the other grey from the switch and touch it on the positive side of the battery the switch activates the pump. So I am guessing I am getting no power to the float switch. I noticed a 15 amp inline fuse near the battery switch that is blown, most likely my issue and will replace and test.

Question are there more than one fuse for the each switch/pump or is there just the one fuse for both?

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I replaced the fuse and the float switch activates the pump in the stern of the boat. The float switch in the cabin does not activate so I am probably going to say that one is shot.

Has anyone ever had to change it? How without rubber arms and tiny hands are you able to get tools or access both the pump and switch from the access hole?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Following this as I'm going to be doing the same thing after I get my boat back. Let me know how it turns out. Do you have the Sure Bail auto switch in yours?

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I did have a sure bail but now they are rule switches. I have yet to figure out the forward switch. There is no power to the switch but the pump runs from the rocker switch. I have three inline fuses off the battery switch and all seem to be in good condition. Not sure where to look at this point.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
OK. I'll be getting into mine as soon as I get it back, which I hope is next week. I'll see if I can locate the power feed to the auto side on mine and let you know if you haven't found it by then.

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Still can't find the fuse or the issue for the float switch. I have looked at the helm fuse block and the 5 amp fuses look good. There is a 4 amp in off the baterry switch that also looks good. Scratching my head at this point.

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am now wondering if it the connection to the battery cable in the battery switch?

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Just did both of mine today. Cut back some of the old wire and heat shrinked some new wire with fresh connections. Grady did a terrible job sealing the screws into the hull/pads.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
mmiela said:
I am now wondering if it the connection to the battery cable in the battery switch?

Very well could be. The auto wire should be wired hot no matter the position of the battery switch. Check for corrosion on the posts on the switch. Take them apart, might not show on outside, but between the terminals on the surfaces.