Replacing main fuel tank on 268 Islander

Doberman

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Anybody replace the large tank, mine 134 gal, on a Islander, mine is 1998. Probably similar for other Walkaround models. Question is as the tank is 68 inches long, presume you cut at least one bulkhead aft of tank, but still not enough angle to remove and replace with new tank. Do you cut into step up onto upper deck? Have call into GW for input as well

Stephnic

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I also have a 98 Islander. I wanted to add the Auxiliary tank to the boat because I have twins and wanted the extra fuel for running offshore. I talked to Grady white and the Grady dealer in Delaware about doing the job. The bulkhead does need to be cut out they need to remove the mail fuel tank to put the auxiliary tank in front of it. The Grady dealer quoted me six grand to do the work that includes everything and the tanks. I am thinking about it and repowering the boat with 150 four strokes. :wow A lot of money but I love the boat.

Doberman

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I used the empty space under the main cockpit hatch to put a Moeller 50 gallon Aux tank with its own filler tube next to the Main fill. So as to keep the fuel lines to both engines simple (ie “as is”), I ran a fuel line from aux tank to a fuel transfer pump in back which would transfer the fuel to the main tank as I needed. I had a machine shop create an aluminum “Y” pipe that was place in-line of Main filler that accepted a 3/8ths hose barb to connect to the AUX. When I’d get down to say 1/4 tank on main, I’d flip switch and dump the 50 gallons into main. I paid about $300 for Moeller tank on eBay, and had about $300 in hose, fittings and transfer pump. So total of about $600. Was just what I needed to run to stream and have a comfortable buffer. The Moeller tank I got was from Canada, think it was intended for a Chapparel boat, but it fit perfectly between the back bulk heads, where I presume the stock Aux tank would have gone

Reactions: CCR Diver

barclayrl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Following this thread. I am doing mine next year

it’s a 2001. It looks like the bulkhead in mine can be unbolted in the back under the batteries.