help with docking my 208

cool change

Reaction score
hello all.. Being a NEW BOATER I am having big trouble docking my GW 208 with 200 Yamaha on her.. I dock to the starboard side, and it is not pretty. !! I will try to break it down for u best I can.. I come in slow than I make a sharp left and line the bow straight with my slip.. to the right is the dock, to the left is the next boat about 8 ft away.. I start to come in straight than I reverse my motor, and that is when it gets ugly .. I either hit the dock on the starboard side and bounce off and head towards the boat next to me or my stern swings out and my boat is actually side ways in the slip.. Last week I had to run to the stern because I was headed for the boat next to me !! I know wind and current has some thing to do with it, but I have come in with good conditions with the same results.. could anyone please tell me what I'm doing wrong, and give me ur professional help, it would be greatly appraicated.. thank u

seasick

Reaction score
cool change said:
hello all.. Being a NEW BOATER I am having big trouble docking my GW 208 with 200 Yamaha on her.. I dock to the starboard side, and it is not pretty. !! I will try to break it down for u best I can.. I come in slow than I make a sharp left and line the bow straight with my slip.. to the right is the dock, to the left is the next boat about 8 ft away.. I start to come in straight than I reverse my motor, and that is when it gets ugly .. I either hit the dock on the starboard side and bounce off and head towards the boat next to me or my stern swings out and my boat is actually side ways in the slip.. Last week I had to run to the stern because I was headed for the boat next to me !! I know wind and current has some thing to do with it, but I have come in with good conditions with the same results.. could anyone please tell me what I'm doing wrong, and give me ur professional help, it would be greatly appraicated.. thank u

That hull can be challenging at first and even after you get the hang of it, in certain wind conditions can be really difficult to control.
The first thing is to go slow. Use the gear shift, in and out without any throttle (idle speed) to adjust vessel speed. If you rev the motor in reverse with the engine pointing starboard, you would thing the boat would turn to the right but in reality it will spin the bow to the left. Remember that if you make dramatic turns, the hull will continue to rotate even after you straighten the wheel especially when revs are low so the goal is to try and get the correct angle needed for docking in your slip before you enter the slip and then use the gear shifter to control the approach.
For small changes in direction, turn the wheel all the way to the direction you need and then shift into gear. When the boat starts to respond, shift out of gear. You can try shifting from forward to reverse and vice versa . Just don't apply a lot of throttle.
practice and remember that when you have no thrust applied ( not in gear) you have zero control. Slow and easy are the secrets and don't over react with bursts of high throttle.
Now when there are winds on the bow, especially straight on, the hull on the 208 will rotate. When it rotates to port, it is very difficult to correct. It's the nature of the design. The situation is even worse with the Bimini up. In that case, it is best to approach the dock at a more aggressive angle and use the boat hook or a spring line to help the approach. Note that if you use the boat hook from the far aft of the deck, the bow may rotate to port.

I have had my 208 'sideways' more times than I want to admit when winds and seas on on the bow.
Read up on spring lines and their use. In inclement conditions and/or tight conditions, a spring line attached to mid ship cleat can help a lot.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Seasick gave solid advice. A friend of mine who is a licensed captain once said to me , if you think you're going slow you're probably going to fast. Lol.

When I approach my narrow slip which my slip mate is a 25 foot pontoon, if wind is not an issue, I go slow and take her out of gear about 2 boat lengths before I enter the slip. The momentum is usually enough for steerage. Then I use the throttle to bump it reverse or if I need a little forward. The key for a single is really understanding how to use reverse. It takes practice.

I grew up around boats,had kayaks and canoes. I started renting boats in the late 90s. I rented this center console in the Keys. And we came back in and I took it the slip where the guy told me to put her. I thought I was going slow. I came in a bit hot and the rub rail at the bow made firm contact with the concrete bulkhead. The impact made us react and move forward with our bodies. No visible damage to the rental boat. However, it was sure nice cutting my teeth on docking skills in other people's boats lol.

Spring lines and their use is very good advice from Seasick.

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I feel your pain. When I first got my Seafarer I was so nervous every time I docked my boat. Over time I learned to relax and go slowly like seasick states in and out of gear to control the boat and do not give a lot of throttle either way. Biggest thing is don't panic if you don't get it right that is when you make a mistake.

Took me four years to back the boat in and that started his year.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
As I understand your post, you are docking bow in. Instead of lining up your approach straight, try coming in at an angle with the bow into the wind.

If the wind is on your starboard or quartering on your starboard, make you approach with your bow at a slight angle towards the dock. When you get close, going slow enough to counter the wind with forward momentum, shift into reverse and spin the wheel hard to starboard. This will slow your approach bringing your stern towards the dock and turn your bow away from the dock.

If the wind is on your port or quartering, your bow should be angled towards your slipmate. As you get your bow past the end of your dock into the slip, either shift to neutral and let the wind push you onto the dock or reverse with the wheel hard to port bringing your bow towards the dock and your stern away from the dock. Let the wind push you in.

Set up a spring line and leave it tied to your dock cleat. It will always be there when you need it.
Any and all canvas will make matters worse on a windy day.
Trim tabs (if you have them) all the way up.
Go slow enough to keep your momentum and counter the wind.
Think about your approach and have a plan before you get to the marina.
Usually small throttle "Bumps" will get you in.
Passengers should know their job ahead of time. Man a line, ready to fend off, or say out of the way.
Don't be afraid to give orders.
No shame in asking for help.
Fenders, fenders, fenders!
Practice, practice, practice!
You will gain confidence, It will get easier!
Some days, no matter what, Sh#@ happens!

seasick

Reaction score
journeyman said:
As I understand your post, you are docking bow in. Instead of lining up your approach straight, try coming in at an angle with the bow into the wind.

If the wind is on your starboard or quartering on your starboard, make you approach with your bow at a slight angle towards the dock. When you get close, going slow enough to counter the wind with forward momentum, shift into reverse and spin the wheel hard to starboard. This will slow your approach bringing your stern towards the dock and turn your bow away from the dock.

If the wind is on your port or quartering, your bow should be angled towards your slipmate. As you get your bow past the end of your dock into the slip, either shift to neutral and let the wind push you onto the dock or reverse with the wheel hard to port bringing your bow towards the dock and your stern away from the dock. Let the wind push you in.

Set up a spring line and leave it tied to your dock cleat. It will always be there when you need it.
Any and all canvas will make matters worse on a windy day.
Trim tabs (if you have them) all the way up.
Go slow enough to keep your momentum and counter the wind.
Think about your approach and have a plan before you get to the marina.
Usually small throttle "Bumps" will get you in.
Passengers should know their job ahead of time. Man a line, ready to fend off, or say out of the way.
Don't be afraid to give orders.
No shame in asking for help.
Fenders, fenders, fenders!
Practice, practice, practice!
You will gain confidence, It will get easier!
Some days, no matter what, Sh#@ happens!

All good advice but I need to comment on asking for help. If one of your passengers is going to help, a little discussion before the actual docking is good practice. Tell them that when they use the boat hook, don't pull like a madman especially if the position they are standing is aft of the slip edge. All that does is cause the hull to rotate to the opposite side. Make sure they know not to jump onto the slip until you say it is safe and make sure they keep their hands and fingers inside the deck area. Teach them that pushing off can be just as important as pulling tight.( yes, you may need to push off on the boat next to you if you get too close.
You also will learn over time that the reactions to your inputs, throttle and steering are delayed by the momentum of the boat and will continue after you stop your input. It just takes practice and calmness. And yes, stuff happens; every once in a while I look like a total idiot docking:)
Also note that steering straight in reverse is pretty much impossible on that hull without some amount of rotation. Over time you will learn what can and can't be done

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
And yes, stuff happens; every once in a while I look like a total idiot docking:)

Yes, as do we all!!!

It's a learning curve and on my third season with the Marlin, I'm still learning. After 8 seasons with the Journey, I thought I was just getting good. LOL!

A friend of mine who has been boating longer than me moved from a 25 Wellcraft to a 29 Wellcraft and became my slipmate. He came to the marina last weekend and docked it for the first time in "unfavorable" conditions. I won't go into details but let's just say that it turned into a very humbling experience! No harm done but it just proves our point.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I'll add one more piece of advice. If you're coming in and something changes like a gust of wind, and your approach is not quite what you want it to be, back off, reload and come in again. Don't try to force it.

cool change

Reaction score
What great advice guys thank u much.. My problem is no matter what I do or how slow I go I just cannot keep her straight to the slip, I come in straight hit the reverse hard and the boat does the oppsite than what on want ..

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
What Journeyman said is spot on. You must USE the wind and tide to help you, as if not, they will work against you. Know which way the wind and tide will push you BEFORE you get into the marina. Plan for it. Always head into the wind if possible - even if it means passing your slip and turning around. You should not have to hit the throttles hard unless it is a really sporty day. Do you have canvas and side curtains? - Here's a little trick that will make a HUGE difference: Roll up the little "Smiley faces" on the side curtains (Or just roll up the side curtains ) BEFORE you get inside your marina on a windy day. It will amaze you how much that changes the "Sail" of the boat and gives you more control.

Bottom line is this: If you are figuring out what to do when you are at the slip it is too late. plan your approach and contingencies ahead of time. Remember, a beam wind will push you sideways even if you are moving forward. Account for that and adjust your approach. If you have a decent wind/tide you should be able to use the angle approach and time it so that the wind will straighten you out as you get into the slip with little or no steering input. Remember, each time you dock may/will be different depending on the conditions. You have to figure out the BOAT, not the slip. Once you do that you'll be able to put it anywhere, anytime. Best of luck and have fun with it!

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I can't add anything to the marvelous advice given.

Well..One thing.

5 aborted attempts is better than one gelcoat ding. If it looks iffy, reverse out and try again.

seasick

Reaction score
cool change said:
What great advice guys thank u much.. My problem is no matter what I do or how slow I go I just cannot keep her straight to the slip, I come in straight hit the reverse hard and the boat does the oppsite than what on want ..

I had sent a detailed response but it seems to have gotten lost.
So to recap: while docking NEVER go hard reverse or forward. Hard reverse will cause that hull to rotate to port. Try playing with just shifting in and out of gear with no throttle other than idle.
Practice and don't panic

Firenailer

Reaction score
All great advice given so far! Where I'm currently docked I'm the second boat from the end of the main channel so when I come in I basically turn right and then make a full u- turn around one boat and into the slip. (We dock bow in). The 208 is great out on the water, in close slow maneuvers....not so much. Just keep bumping it in and out and SLOWLY work your way in.

Best advice I ever heard is when in doubt back out and try again, and never ever come in faster than you want to risk hitting. And fenders....fenders are your friend!

PrinceofThieves

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
All great advice and It's just great to see how great guys on this site are about helping one other out, unlike some other sites where you might get quite the opposite reaction!

Everything you have been told is spot on and you just need to absorb the feedback and practice. I had the 208 till last season and had the same exact slipping configuration as you do and similar challenges. I'm in NY and as in general through the summer months we have predominantly southern winds and then in the fall it switches to northern. My finger on the dock, which I would dock to starboard with the 208 was parallel to the north and my approach to the slip was from the south. In the summer months it was rarely an issue, I would come in slowly perpendicular to the slip about 15-20ft off the top, drop it in neutral on approach to where your neighbor would be, let the forward momentum do it's thing and then start turning to port once the bow would clear the neighbor and then just a bump or two forward while straightening out and let the wind push in to the slip. Then a quick drop in reverse should stop her, you just have to time it and understand that it takes a few seconds for the boat to react to the reverse. Nailing the reverse will give you adverse affects as you've seen and has been explained by others, especially on a boat like the 208. When the winds are from the north, the approach was the same except that the turn to port was made while powering forward into the wind at an angle to port and the turn was executed several feet from the finger, followed by hard turn to stbd and reverse. Not much different from what you have already been told, perhaps just a different visual for you. The one thing I will add is..when you do bounce off the dock (and this happens all the time) and your bow starts flying to port, do not be afraid to correct that in the slip by quickly turning the wheel and bumping forward or reverse, just quick bumps though!

Great boat, enjoy it!

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If you have a stern piling, run a line from it to a point on the dock in front of your boat, so that you have a foot or so of clearance at the nearest point of the bow and the line. That gives you a Vee shaped slip to practice in, and takes the neighbors boat out of play.

Also with a stern piling, stop with your transom between it and the dock, even if that is not your final location. That takes stern swing out of play, and lets you concentrate on the bow. Have a long enough line lying on the dock so that you can attach it to the bow at that point, and short enough that the bow can't hit the other boat. Attach a stern line next, with the stern between the pilings, and short enough to stay off the other boat. Get out and walk the boat up to its final mooring spot.

tellch00

Reaction score
newbie here also but with a 205. had similar issues. floating dock to port neighbors boat on other side. wind usually blows me away from dock. tried the straight on approach by aiming past my slip and letting wind blow me back and then pull in. never got comfortable with that. someone earlier in this thread mentioned coming in at an angle. that is what i now do. picture an upside down "L" and that is my dock.

I aim bow towards corner of upside down L and get the bow of the boat into the slip. turn wheel hard to dock and bump into reverse pulling the stern to the dock. seems to be working for me. you'll figure out what works for you. next step for me at least, is to apply this at marinas / docks. lots more pressure there.

never imagined docking a small boat could be so difficult. I mean, you're going what, 2 MPH? I campaign a porsche race car at a fairly high level and am more comfortable doing 140 mph with other cars inches away than i am pulling into my slip LOL. last year was my first year and used to yell at my wife or passengers for talking while i was trying to dock LOL. Meanwhile i can carry on a conversation with my pit crew in a race like i was in my living room. my heart beats much faster docking than it does in the car!

cool change

Reaction score
thank u all for all ur wonderful imput, it feel great knowing that other boaters take the time to help out people that need it !! im going out tommorrow and im going to put all your knowledge to use. [i hope] lets is what happens !! ill let u know wish me luck lol

Bumpye

Reaction score
Just read the book, 7 Steps to Successful Boat Docking. Good read. Your comment "hit reverse hard" makes me wonder you are using too much power. Two comments from the book that stand out: "90% of docking is accomplished in neutral" and "never go faster than you're willing to hit something with your boat".
Go out on a calm day and practice, practice, practice when no one is around. Also don't stress about it. I used to when I joined the Marina 2 years ago but then I realized everyone has difficulty sometimes. It all depends on the wind and current. Two weeks ago I came in alone, my neighbor (who has a fleet of 5 rentals) helped me and said "Wow-like you knew what you were doing" Last week I came in sideways with the wind blowing off my port bow and the slip next to me empty.
Approach your slip in neutral, bump it in and out of gear to change direction only, and have all your dock, spring lines ready. Yes you will need more power at times with strong winds and currents, but master the calm days first.
Good luck.

eppem

Reaction score
Like all said, slow and steady, shift and glide. Being nervous is a natural feeling and we all have felt it until the new boat or slip is mastered. Just give it time and the procedure will become more natural.

Remember when you first learned how to drive a car and parallel parking was an issue? Practice makes perfect!