Launching/Retrieving Gulfstream

mhff34

Reaction score
Hi,

I am very interested in purchasing a 232 Gulfstream. This would be my third Grady. I intend to trailer it.

I think I have enough truck to pull it (2014 Tundra 4x4) and would be driving less than a mile to the ramp at the end of my street.

My question is how hard would it be to launch and retrieve? Is this something my wife and I could do?

Thanks Mike

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I think it all depends on the ramp. My Sailfish is a nightmare to load on the ramp closest to me. Since I only pull it once or twice a year I travel about 5-6 miles to a better ramp that makes loading much easier.

I think a roller trailer is easier also to load the boat incase you can't get the boat all the way onto the trailer you can still winch it forward in the parking lot, but I have a bunk for less moving parts and its only really on it for winter storage.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have a Gulfstream and until I moved to Fla, I trailered it all the time. Since your ramp is close and if you don't travel far, your truck should be marginally alright.
This really depends on whether you have twins or a single, how much fuel/gear you carry, etc. My 232 weighs 10,100 lbs full y fueled & loaded on my trailer. Yours will likely be less, but check the tow cap on your Tundra before committing to the purchase.

Like Fire93Medic says, the ramp is a big consideration; 4WD or AWD is a must in my opinion.

Launching/retreival? Not hard, I mostly did it myself with my bunk trailer.

When you retrieve it, sink the bunks to just at or below the surface of the water. That way, the stern doesn't drift over the bunks and not make contact. The boat has no choice but to track on the same way everytime when the hull comes in contact with the bunks.

Dropping it in is like any other boat. Sink it to where it free-floats and walk it down the dock,(if you have one.)

Remember that the Gulfstream is overwide at 9' 3". You will likely not have a problem given the short distance your travelling, but technically you are illegal w/out the proper permits. Your call on that one..

The Gulfstream is an awesome boat. I've had mine for 10 years.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Oops, one more thing.

Get a Dutton 2-speed winch to make cranking that big boat easier. The gearing is not unlike a multi-speed bike that you can gear down going uphill.

Use the normal gear to bring the boat most of the way onto the trailer. Then, when it gets hard to crank as you lose the buoyancy of the water floating it, switch to the lower gear. You'll have to crank out more revolutions, but it'll be much easier.

DennisG01 on here knows his stuff about trailering..he might have some extra pointers that I've missed.

Bumpye

Reaction score
I have towed my 03 Gulfstream (single 225) from Cape Cod to north of Boston and from north of Boston to Winnipesaukee using my son's Toyota Tundra with tow package. No problems at all. I did replace a broken brake line, disc brakes, repacked the bearings before the Winni trip but it handled well. The only other tow is launch in the Spring and haul in the Fall about a 20 mile round trip. Load Right bunk trailer with dual axle and surge brakes. The day I bought the boat we trailered it home from the Cape with no trailer brakes-we had no clue they weren't working!
Launching and retrieving the boat is a breeze every time. My son backs down until the boat is floating and I back right off. Installation is the reverse of removal! :lol: I should mention it has guide posts adjusted snug to the boat and it centers the boat on the trailer every time.

mhff34

Reaction score
Thanks guys, good info!

I think my truck is rated for around 11,000 # I doubt I will be taking it offshore so I won't need much gear, ice etc. and can probably carry a lot less fuel.

I have been reading a lot on this site, and the general census is to go with twins. So I'll probably look for something with twin 150's.

I really love the layout of this boat and think it could be perfect for what I am trying to do. I had a slip with my 272 and the cost was just too much to justify.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I probably trailer in terms of distance annually rank in the top 10 on this site. I have both an 08 and 15 Tundra. Toyota changed up the tranny in 10 or 11? The Gulfy is a sweet boat. The Tundra with a 5.7 should be fine towing.

With that said, towing is easy. Stopping is the hard part. You may want to consider upgrading the front brakes to TRD brakes. It is on my radar to do so. Also Toyota makes a TRD rear stabilizer bar that tightens up the rear end. It stiffens it for lateral movement. You may also want those tow mirrors with the wide girl behind you.

All the other advice is sound and take it from me. What ever trailer you get , if does not have Deemax brakes and good hubs, well if you buy new specify them and if you buy used, replace all your running gear with them.

gw204

Reaction score
FYI...My '17 Tundra crew max with the 5.7 and SR5 upgrade is rated for something like 9,100 lbs.

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I have a '93 24' Explorer and have brought it from Pensacola, FL to Sarasota. I have also gone from Sarasota to Marathon. I have a '13 Tundra with the small V8, but the world's best trailer---Owens and Sons. ;)

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have that same set up. I launch by myself on a regular basis. Bunk trailer. Tundra is fine.

Clockwork

Reaction score
I used to launch my sailfish by myself all the time and trailer hundreds of miles. no problem. trailer setup is important though. side boards are very useful in keeping the boat squared and also good security if a wave comes and pushes the boats stern.

I now have a 28 marlin and am not concerned about it. I need to add those boards though.