In-hull transducer for 180 Sportsman/Fisherman

DaveHNL

Reaction score
Has anyone installed an in-hull (shoot through hull) transducer with good results above 30 mph, if so, what brand did you use and where did you end up placing it?

Thanks

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I use an Airmar M260 1kw model. It is paired with a Garmin digital GMS22 Sounder. Old school not fancy. If I was a serious bottom fisherman I would have that new 3D stuff. Maybe in a year or so I can update my head unit. I run a Garmin 4208.

It is mounted as far aft as it can be in my boat. I have large section where I can access my freshwater tank. It is in that compartment. I initially used mineral oil but it softened the 4200/5200 I used to adhere it to the hull bottom. I had to reinstall it with ethylene glycol. I did not glass it in as tech changes quickly or the dang thing could fail . I have been pleased . It holds the bottom at speed to about 1,500 feet.

DaveHNL

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Bob.

I have a 180 Sportsman and was looking for guidance for that boat.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Dave, you would need to trim the transducer box to match the deadrise angle . In my boat it is mounted kind of midway between the bottom center to where the first chine starts. It is rectangular and it is mounted so the short side is fore and aft. While our boats are not the same, you can get an idea on where to put it. Part of the equation is access to both the area and rigging tubes in your boat .

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
Circling back to this, Dave (OP) did you ever do this?
I'm asking as I just purchased a Garmin system with an in hull and I'm trying to figure how to get down there.

thanks,

Rob